This Disappears When Logged In

Question About Pregnancy

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Seandeezy, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

So my female has been pregnant for awhile now, more than 4 months easy. How long is she going to keep the eggs for? I would have thought she would lay them by now, she hasn't yet. Should I be worried? :/

Is she in the gestation period?

2. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Four months is a long time...I believe gestation is more like 4 weeks if I remember correctly. It sounds like she may either be egg-bound, or have something else going on, which means it is time for a vet visit...

3. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

Poop. :/
    Yeah she's has those eggs for awhile, well I'm not sure about 4 months, but she's been big big big for like 2 months. If she doesn't lay her eggs....does that mean she's going to croak? :/

4. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Not necessarily. If she is egg bound, it can be fatal if not treated. I think it usually requires surgery...there might be other ways to help it though, or it could be something else, like parasites. I suggest getting to the vet pronto, and bringing a fecal sample.

5. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

I think it could be parasites because I mentioned about a month ago about her tail not growing and her stomach just getting bigger. Her tail is starting to gain fat, so I'm not sure what to think. I'm going to take her to the vet soon. :)

6. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I think so...keep us updated and the sooner you get her in the better.

7. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

I think I may have found out what has been the problem, with the big stomach and all. My theory could be when I first got my gecko, I wasn't really sure on how much they were supposed to eat so I just her 12 crickets every other week and she was fine on that, but after a few months of having her I noticed that she wasn't gaining fat and I started to research the problem. I found out that they need to eat more often, so I immediately started to feed her more and more.

I'm thinking the problem was since she was so used to a low food intake and suddenly put on a huge amount, probably slowed down her insides haha.
    She's starting to look more healthy and full. :)

8. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I'm not so sure that works the same in lizards as in humans. I would keep a close eye on her and if she does not start looking better of course, take her in. It sounds like she is looking better though?

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

how do you know 100% she's pregnant and not just pudgy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.