This Disappears When Logged In

Question About New Cage and Light Distance

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by ToriH, Jan 21, 2012.

1. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

So my boyfriend bought Lucky a new piece of furniture. He got it from PetSmart. I was reading the tag on it and it says it has "special PetSmart exclusive antimicrobial agent" and tells me to not use soap. Seeing that this piece IS from PetSmart, does anyone know if this "special agent" works? And if not, any suggestions on cleaning it? It's the big branch, and another question. I measured the distance between the highest branch and my repti-sun 10.0. It's around 6 inches. Is that ok? If not I'll move it around more, but he was up on it earlier snoozing on it.

Attached Files:

2. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

is it the colorful branch/tree looking thing? or is it the brown one under the light?

3. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Oops sorry, it's the colorful one. The brown one is an aspen branch I found when I first converted the cage. ^_^

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi ToriH, I don`t know whether the "special agent" works, but just clean with a diluted bleach solutiion; 10 parts water to 1 part bleach (or a steam gun if you have one).
    EDIT: Is that an MVB? If yes, they`re normally supposed to be a minimum of 30cm (12inches) from the surface of the bulb to the surface of the animal.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Was it made in China?
    If so, I highly doubt it is special in any way.

6. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

The instructions on the Repti-sun say up to 20 inches. Up to being the key words. I was concerned seeing there was no danger zone warnings.
    The branch was made in the Philippines! Lol! I will use a bleach solution next time. I just didn't know if there would have been some reaction if the "special agent" actually worked.
    Thanks everyone!

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Is the light in the ceramic holder just a basking bulb, and the UVB is a tube? If yes, it really doesn`t matter how close he gets to the UVB tube.

9. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

from how the tag reads, it's like the "special agent" is built into it. Eh, I don't know, I'll just clean it like I do my tiles. Bleach solution and hot water.
    Yes, it's just a Repti-sun 10.0 fluorescent tube, the dome is a 45 watt flood light keeping them temp around 106.

10. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

I actually have that same thing in my anole tank. All I did was soak it in the bleach solution mentioned above.

11. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't think anyone has anything that really shouldn't be cleaned. By the time an animal soils it it's going to need to be disinfected. Just my opinion :)

12. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Oh well thank you everyone. I'll just throw it in the bucket of cleanliness I make next time I clean the tank!