This Disappears When Logged In

Question About Housing Multiple Ackie Monitors

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Boxraddict, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

Ok I want two, it's my current dream setup.

My question is, since they're so expensive, would I be fine purchasing one now, then adding a second down the road? Or is it a rule they be introduced at the same time?

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I don't recommend housing ackies together. They are not social and will compete for resources and stress each other out, maybe even fight each other. If you must though, start with a sexed female, then introduce the male down the road.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, raising them together from hatchings is the best chance of them getting along, although there will often be some domination behaviour at times, especially during feeding. For breeding purposes they should be housed together at all times. It doesn`t make much difference if you want to start with a single animal whether it`s male or female.

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Aren't males more territorial? Introducing a female to a males enclosure when he has already established his territory seems less safe than the other way around. Also, isn't doesn't the male seek out the female in the wild during breeding season, so wouldn't it be more natural to introduce them that way? I could be wrong on both accounts...

5. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

Can I use all Eco Earth for them? Or Eco Earth and Sand maybe? Don't want to dig dirt from my backyard.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You can buy chemical free topsoil in bags very cheaply, then mix in some playsand.

Boxraddict likes this.
  7. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

NICE!!!!!!!

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Actually, Ackies are somewhat social in my experience, and have always done fine for me in groups. Never noticed males to be any more territorial than the females, and even when they have other options, they will often hang out together (see my profile pic). That isn't to say that there can't be problems, but normally they seem to settle them on their own without injuring each other.

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I agree, they are social in my experiences.
    Provide lots of hide areas when housing together as sometimes we all just want to be alone.
    Don't go minimum enclosure size either.
    Don't use Eco Earth. Do as Murrindindi said. Or digging your own is better if you can find a nice spot.
    Keep in mind top soil is muck when wet and extremely dusty when dry.
    If your enclosure is sealed and can maintain decent humidity then it's not much of a problem.

Darkbird likes this.