This Disappears When Logged In

Question about feeding

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by ThePHX, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePHX

ThePHX Elite Member

I currently have, what i believe to be a female, ambanja panther. Shes not my first chameleon, however the first two I've previously kept did not make it. I tried to rescuse one that had very bad MBD, and the 2nd is a mystery. So i'm fairly cautious when it comes to anything thats fairly a big deal. So far the only insect i've been putting inside her cage to feed on has been silkworms, she loves them and eats them up pretty fast. I feed her crickets, just I keep them in a seperate cage because Ive heard mixed reviews about people saying that crickets feeding on their animal at night, and Ive witnessed my chameleon turn fairly dark and get lines(im guessing due to stress) when even one cricket would just land on her back. Is this a good idea? Or can .5" crickets do any damage?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

What a little cutie!!

If your little guy will eat out-of-cage...awesome! I feed my 2 veilds in-cage just because I feed so many and time is not always on my side. The only thing I feed OOC is the snakes. Yours eats the 1/2" size ok? Mine are close to a year old and my step-up crix will be 1/2". They're 3/8" now.

Have you also tried phoenix worms? My guys LOVE these! I place them in a small bird dish whose wires stick through the mesh in-cage. Mealworms have also found their time in there as well as their greens and veggies...:-D

3. ThePHX

ThePHX Elite Member

chams eat greens?? I have used phoenix worms, but ive shied away from them cause the crickets I use have some goooddd gutload ;) But does that mean you just put your crickets in your cage with the veiled?

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

For my veiled I used to place a plastic dish full of crix (the dish was about 7 inches tall)in the enclosure so I didt have to go digging thru the plants and stuff chasing crix, this also makes it easier for the cham to eat she should eat them right out of the container with no probs

5. prismwolf

Actually - this weekend is lifestyle change for the chams...:D. They will also be getting a deeper dish. The smaller crix have done very well in the cup for the most part...but some invariably escape.

As for the greens - yes - it's suggested that a good variety of greens and veggies is offered to chams. Neither of mine took to them but for the last month or so. Their main diet is still insects - but they benefit from the iguana salad, too.

6. ThePHX

ThePHX Elite Member

yeah i could see 7 in not being a problem...her tongue is crazyyy long. Ill have to try thatt tomorrow!

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Good luck and let us know how it goes :)

8. ThePHX

ThePHX Elite Member

oook, i didntwant to buyy a new dish so i just took one of those larger gatorade bottles and cut the top funnel part off, its about 5in tall, i hope it worrkkksss well without escapees. Also, do you think superworms are ok for the baby panther? I was able to breed my beetles and get some eggs to hatch this week. So hopefully in like two weeks or a week(not 100% sure how fast they grow at this size) i will have supers to feed to her...if she can handle them at this age that is ;)

9. prismwolf

Awesome! I used some short mason jars that have a slight curve under the rim. So far they're terrified of the things...poor babies. I'm sure it will be a few days before they feel like eating. I did a total clean our and added sphagnum moss at the bottom to try and help with the humidity. That kind of change usually means no eating for a couple of days.

Supers will be fine if they're very small. No wider the the width of it's mouth is the general consensus...:)

10. ThePHX

ThePHX Elite Member

ohh, do you have any pictures of your cham? ive been thinkin about adding some moss in there and maybe a mister to help with the humidity.

11. prismwolf

I just took some pics of the finished changes today! Give me about 15 minutes and I may get something together real quick. As far as a mister goes...I have one pump with two misting heads (one for each enclosure) - but the pond pump isn't guite strong enough so all I have are dribblers instead of misters...:-D

12. ThePHX

ThePHX Elite Member

So you just took a water pump and had a mister on the end of a tube? that sounds pretty easy to do...just put it on a timer for like 3-4 times a day...I LIKE IT!!!!

13. prismwolf

Heh - I thought the whole set-up would be easy, too. A big problem was the fittings. Pond pumps have a large diameter out-flow tube that eventually needs to fit to tubing the size of fish tank tubing (garden misting system tubing). There are connectors made to fit the two together. For me it's been a lot of trial and error and frustration. Now I'm just needing the stronger pump - but funds need to go elsewhere right now. So still misting - some dribbling. The idea was to set it on timers for about a minute 3-5 times a day. The room in there dries out pretty fast with the overhead fan going for circulation in the room. It gets pretty hot an stuffy with 5 full sets of lights on 12 hours a day. I think an small aquarium heater would be a huge plus so they're misted with warm water instead of very cold...:eek:

O.K. - it took a lot longer than I thought it would - but in the "Odds and Ends" album is some pictures with descriptions.
    Reptile Forums - The HC Network - prismwolf's Albums

14. ThePHX

ThePHX Elite Member

yeah, thats a good idea with the heater....thankfully i get paid tomorrow :) ill have to look at pumps next time im in petco or petsmart

15. prismwolf

You'll probably pay twice as much for one that doesn't have the power. I went to Lowe's. You need a fairly powerful pump. From what I've read it should push at least 25 PSI. Let me run and look what mine is. It doesn't show PSI from what I could read under water. It just gave me 60Hz which is supposed to go 4' easily. It does - in a dribble.

Here's an article on how to build your own, too. Good luck however you get it done!
    Basking Lizards - The best for pet lizards - Articles - Humidifying the Enclosure - Automated Misting System

16. ThePHX

ThePHX Elite Member

ok, ill remember that 25. ill definitely get one of these after work tomorrow..i hope i can remember!!

17. ThePHX

ThePHX Elite Member

off course, i forgot about the jar being clear. and i dont think my cham sees that she has to go to the top..i noticed her on a branch towards the bottom of the jar...and she never moved up..sigh i need a new jar :(

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Or just wrap paper around it to block visibilty.

19. ThePHX

ThePHX Elite Member

lol, its exactly what I did...and i didnt see her eat, but it was successful. I would just like her to get used to my presence....and not try to hide when i stick my hand in her cage...oh well itll take some time it looks like :)

20. prismwolf

I haven't wrapped mine - but it has given me a good reason to offer something good to these guys. The female readily eats right from the jar if I hold it up for her. I've thought of wrapping it, but the they wouldn't see the crix at all unless directly overhead. The female would probably be ok with it. The male - well...I've been feeding him by "hand" from the jar, too - but it takes him a loooong time to decide it's kosher to eat that way...and my arm gets tired...;-) It is cool though. It's another way to let them see that I come bearing gifts and I ain't all that bad...:-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.