This Disappears When Logged In

Question About Blindness in Albinos

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Scottk, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Scottk

Scottk Active Member

Ok so I've had my albino burm for two weeks. I asked about this in my other thread and people were saying the because her eyes are silverish in color that she is going into shed. They were like this when I got her and they still are. I have 5 other snakes so I know what the eyes look like when they shed. But since she is albino and her eyes are not red but silver, could she be blind. I can not find a picture online to refer to, any info would be greatly appreciated. Is this normal for an albino. The vet said the same thing that she could be going into shed but again that was 2 weeks ago. She's in the reptile room, all my other snakes shed fine, the humidity and temps are good. This is just bothering me and I cannot get any solid answers.
    null_zpsf7b6bb2a.jpg
    null_zpsfc23441f.jpg

Attached Files:

2. justor

justor Elite Member

They really should be red. A more in-focus picture would help, just like that first one but not so blurry.

3. Scottk

Scottk Active Member

This is the best I can do, I don't own a high quality camera
    null_zpsed655b30.jpg
    null_zps0d6e83ea.jpg
    null_zps17d779ce.jpg

Attached Files:

4. justor

justor Elite Member

Yea I can't tell, sorry. Would you describe the eyes as cloudy? Is there a reddish tint to them?

5. Scottk

Scottk Active Member

Yes it seems there is a reddish tint behind the silver. I also noticed it seems like there are scratches on the eyes. I feed frozen to all my snakes, but the guy I got her from would throw about 10 mice in the tank with her. Not sure if he supervised or what but she does have scarring on her body, they are small scars you don't notice them until you get real close. Again it looks like there are small scratches on the eyes. I tried getting a close up, you can see a faint red tint when you get real close and it's behind the silver, from farther away they look solid silver.
    null_zps0730ee9a.jpg

Attached Files:

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

My Burms eyes just get cloudy blue not silvery when in shed. She's the same type, morph, etc.

That being said I have never seen a blind snake. So I really have no clue.

7. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

Eye caps not shed correctly? maybe they have repeatedly gotten stuck building up a thick layer?

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Stuck eye caps was my first thought as well. If you move something around her head does she react to the movement?

9. Scottk

Scottk Active Member

No she does not. I tried numerous times yesterday. I made sure she was awake beforehand. No reaction.