This Disappears When Logged In

Quality Of Life Question...

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Midori, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Midori

Midori Elite Member

My juvenile leopard gecko has Metabolic Bone Disease. They're not eating and I'm giving them Fluker's Repta+Boost Insectivore & Carnivore High Amp Boost to keep them alive currently. They're also on liquid calcium prescribed by our vet + a few hours of daylight blub.

I'm worried about the quality of life and I am going to talk to our vet about this too but when do I make the choice for my baby that they need help taking the next step, rather than forcing them to keep living?

2. ccmed008

ccmed008 New Member

Put yourself in the animals place. Would you be happy with the circumstances and think the life you're living is of any quality. When you can answer that question you'll have your answer. Best of luck.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well, first off, sorry your little one is having such issues. Second, wow, talk about deep questions. Has to be one of the hardest choices we ever have to make as pet owners. I'm actually facing this right now with an elderly dog of mine (fighting an ocular humidity issue just typing this) so this really hit home for me. And the truth is, no one can really answer that for you. There will come a point where your only prolonging things for your own benefit more than the animals, and that should probably be the time the decision is made. Of course, that's easy to say sitting at a keyboard talking about someone else's animal rather than facing that decision for your own pet. In your case you'll have to decide when enough is enough if your not seeing any improvement with what your doing. And of course if the animal starts to decline, it may have to happen sooner, or the decision could be taken out of your hands. No easy answers here. But you have my sympathy and what little support can be had from a friend on an internet forum.

AmityReptiles likes this.
  4. Midori

Midori Elite Member

We're sadly thinking unless she makes a huge turn around in this coming month it'll likely be sooner rather than later. :(

5. Midori

Midori Elite Member

Sadly, I just did a check on her and I think I am going to have to make an appointment, she just hasn't been doing well since the fires we had a few months ago and I think the smoke poisoned her and cellular level. She was in a huge growth stage when they started and then went from eating to not eating. She went from a very healthy baby too so unhealthy with off behavior and the vet said it isn't because of our husbandry.

The only thing that changed her was that fire. I guess it shows how toxic they really can be.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Ouch, I either didn't hear about or didn't remember that there was a fire involved. Yes, the smoke in a house fire can be incredibly toxic with all the burning plastics and whatnot that can be involved. And reptiles seem to be more susceptible to chemical poisoning that a lot of other animals, hence the reason feeding wild and possibly poisoned bugs to our critters is always a bad idea. Again, it's up to you to decide, so long as it isn't getting worse there may be a chance still, but it may just be inevitable.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This is the first I heard about smoke too.
    Maybe the S California fires?

8. Midori

Midori Elite Member

Turns out she was dehydrated and once I worked that out she is doing much better acting normal. I'm working on supportive care for her. But we live in the part of the bay area in California that burned. But I had forgotten that the fire likely made her sick, forgot how toxic it can be for them compared to us.

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Good to hear she is doing better. Hopefully she will be able to get rid of any toxins while getting the support, and eventually get back to eating and drinking normally.

10. Midori

Midori Elite Member

Still not a 100% but she is acting very, very normal again. I still haven't offered her live food mostly because my chickens don't need to be pigging out on worms if she isn't ready for them yet... I swear they can smell them and scream for them from the back porch even if I don't offer them to them. But we now see her moving around her house, hanging out in the middle of it if that is where she likes the temps best, back to people, dog, and TV watching again.

Has anyone ever heard of toxins in the body inhibiting calcium uptake?

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Glad to hear of the steady inprovement. As for the calcium question, it could be possible depending on what she was exposed to and how it affected her system, but I'm clueless on specifics.

12. Midori

Midori Elite Member

It took 5 months of work but Kyou is behaving like a normal gecko and is eating on her own now! The only honestly sign on her long time illness is her funny looking legs. Hopefully she doesn't have the curved spine like the vet was worried about. She has also grown almost an inch since she started eating on her own. Hopefully she will reach something close to what would have been expected size for her before the whole illness. Sadly I do think she'll be smaller then her genetics would have originally dictated.

Darkbird likes this.