This Disappears When Logged In

Pulling the teeth out

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Rakoladycz, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Since i was the one who came up with the idea for this section and since noone has posted in it yet i figure i will go ahead and start it out.

After reading Aosoth's post on his burm who had bitten him i had a question. I know when you get bit by a snake you are not supposed to yank away because it can cause the teeth to be pulled out. Well our natural reaction is to pull back so in case of that happen what would you do after they lose the teeth? i would think eventually more would grow back but im not sure of this. And what about the eating? if its prekilled i wouldnt see it as much of a hassle as the food wont be fighting to get away but the pulling the food in might be a bit more difficult still but feeding live would big a bigger problem... either way if someone could just fill me in a bit. :D

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Well, surprisingly, even though our initial reaction would be to pull back, that is not always the case. I have never been bitten by a snake in a way that would make me react like this (I have only been bitten a couple of times by smaller snakes, and they were carefully planned bites, where I was holding them and they slowly opened their mouths around my hand! :p ) so I can only speak from seeing Joe being bitten.. he has been bitten a couple of times by the larger snakes, from feeding strikes, and he did not pull away instantly as would be expected. He waited for them to release his hand.

In fact I think it would be quite hard to yank the teeth out, but if this did happen then there is really nothing you can do. I don't believe that teeth can grow back.. however with over a hundred teeth it probably wouldn't cause too many problems.

I have only once seen a tooth be pulled out - one of our royal pythons had a piece of substrate stuck in his mouth and we had to carefully pull this out with tweezers. Unfortunately it was stuck on a tooth, and the tooth came out with the substrate. On very close inspection you could see the tooth, although it was so small you would have easily missed it. It has caused him no problems, and I think the fact that the substrate was finally unstuck was much more of a relief to him.

If you are bitten it is best to try and fight the urge to pull back, because as you noted, a snakes teeth are angled backwards so as to prevent prey from escaping from its grip. The snake will let go, and no harm will be done (at least not to the snake :p ).

3. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

Good ?? Suprman

I would have never thought to ask such a question but I'm glad you did. If my snake ever bit me and I caused it to lose teeth, I think I'd be more upset about the injury to my snake then to myself, of course I'm speaking from the point of view of someone who has never been bitten, except by a little corn snake that I caught in a tree. He tried and tried to hurt me, it was adorable. The snake was too small to break the skin but his strong will made me decide to let him free. :p

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I believe it depends on the type of snake, and type of tooth. I know that fangs used for envenomation grow back. Since without them the snake would be incapable of getting prey items. I'm not sure about constrictors though, sounds like some research is in order.

5. Aosoth

Aosoth Member

When I was bitten I didnt pull back and I automaticly put my free hand up to grab him before he had a chance to wrap around and constrict. The only time I have ever pulled back was when my boa has struck at me, and that was just to avoid being bitten. She did get me once though and I didnt move fast enough, and I think I still have a tooth in me from it. Loosing a few teeth wont hurt them, it would happen a lot in the wild. Off the topic, the last time I checked I was female.

6. Bitis Gabonica

LOL, these men, they're always mistaking us girls for guys! :p

I presume though, Jay, that venomoids fangs do not grow back, because of the venom sac being removed? :confused:

7. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

No, the fangs still grow back. I saw a study on rattlesnakes and they always have a new tooth growing in to replace the old one. It helps keep them nice and sharp.

8. Hebidoshi

Hebidoshi Elite Member

Same with me. When I was bitten I didn't pull back. I flung my hand up behind her neck to keep her from falling as she was hanging from my wrist. For some reason she didn't try to constrict. She didn't even try to move.

9. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I have seen a programe too where it said the fangs grow back, cant remember which programe tho i have watched that many :rolleyes:

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The fangs will grow back regardless of venom sac removal. The actuyally have multiple fangs folded somewhat like a pocket knife's blades ready to drop down when needed. I beleive that the smaller teeth will grow back and the only real worry you have is infection setting in from the injury to the mouth.

11. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

My husband was bitten hard and fast by a wild garter we were rescuing from a madwoman wielding a broom. He didn't pull back at all...he was more worried about the snake than his hand. The snake then let go and bit the other hand! He still didn't pull back though...blood was dripping everywhere, the madwoman was getting crazier (she screamed,"OMG...is he going to be OK?!!! we said "Yes, he'll be fine, it's just a garter snake...they're not venemous..."...she screamed,"OMG!")...snake was fine and so was husband :)

12. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

i dunno i was just asking because when i was holding my friends snake when i was taking it out i wasnt paying attention and i guess i did something it didnt like and it bit me(that and aosoth's post) and i just yanked back cuz i wasnt expecting it or paying attention. (btw my friend did get rid of it... both of them actually. thought i'd let you all know sense i never did update it back)

13. Bitis Gabonica

Your friend got rid of them because of the snake biting??

Interesting thread though Suprman, I'm learning a lot. :)

14. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

If you read my post he had caught a corn and was keeping it with his other and it was agitating it and i stressed to him that he needs to seperate them and its a long story but the ending was he got rid of t hem both.

i feel like i learned something too

15. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I know Pythons will replace lost teeth,,,not sure of others

16. Bitis Gabonica

Ah I remember.. where did he get rid of them to?? Hopefully you talked some sense into him anyway, and he might not do it again in a hurry! :)

17. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

he let them loose in his moms greenhouse.. hopefully i talked sense into him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.