This Disappears When Logged In

Pseudomonas And Underweight Boa

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Taiga93, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Taiga93

Taiga93 Member

Hi all,
    Partially asking for advice, partially ranting. So a friend wanted to rehome their boa and I took him in right before the new year. I was told he was in perfect health, never had a bad shed, etc etc. When I went to pick him up, he had a slight snuffling/wheezing noise. Previous owners said that he has been doing that since he was a baby (!!!) and that nothing ever came of it. Red flag, but I still wanted to take him since I planned on a vet check up just in case.

Fast forward to the vet visit- sure enough it's a respiratory infection and he's also underweight. We did a culture, and it's pseudomonas. Thankfully the antibiotic he's on he isn't resistant to, but if he doesn't improve, I'll have to start giving them orally at home. This is the first reptile I've ever had so it's pretty overwhelming to just jump right into having a sick one right away. It's definitely been a learning experience and I just hope he gets better.

I changed his husbandry around 100%. Everything is on a thermostat and he has two thermometers in his enclosure plus a digital scanner thermometer to check his hot spot. I boosted his temps per the vets advice. He doesn't have anything from his old enclosure except a resin branch that's been disinfected. He got a brand new pvc cage as the other one was a fish tank with a wooden lid that wasn't sealed.

The bright side- he eats readily, is free of intestinal parasites, doesn't have mites, and has an inquisitive and active personality. Since his first check up he's gained weight and one of his nostrils has cleared up. He goes back for his next injection Saturday so I'm hoping for more good news. He's got a bit of a stubborn streak so I'm hoping he's stubborn enough to beat this.

Has anyone else dealt with pseudomonas before? Any other ways to help with the symptoms while he recovers? Vet has me bumping temps and doing soaks.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I wouldn't do soaks, rather, I would boost temps and make sure the humidity is definitely in the right range... the heat and humidity is going to be the main thing to keep him hydrated and have a strong recovery. Also make sure to have a nice big bowl of water. You want to mess with him as little as possible, stress or excitement from handling can lower immune response.

3. Taiga93

Taiga93 Member

Thanks for the advice!