This Disappears When Logged In

Progress...

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Blitz, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

I got the temporary tank set up in the shed next to the deep freezer. I wanted to keep it in my room, but I have allergies, and the light and heater would just make my room humid. He/she will be better off out there for other reasons as well, but that's beside the point here. I'm using linoleum tile instead of reptile carpet, but that will probably only be until I build him a bigger home. I still need to get TO MY KNOWLEDGE:

- UVB bulb(s)

- Heater

- Bio Vines

-crickets/worms and some green veggies

If that list is not complete, and I'm pretty sure I'm missing something, please tell me what is missing. Thanks in advance.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The dragon shouldn't bother your allergies. At least not that I have ever heard of. Thats the reason some people get into reptiles. They can't have furred or feathered pets.
    You will definitely need a good digital thermometer. And fixture for your UVB lights.

3. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

I didn't mean that I would be allergic to the beardie, it's just that all that heating will make my room humid, making my breathing problems even worse.

4. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

The lights really do not cause the room to be humid. Beside dragons do not require a lot of humidity anyhow. Even with my ig in the dining room I have not had a problem with humidity.

Is it a heated shed?

5. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

No, but it stays relatively warm in there, and either way, the tank will be heated. It's insulated and everything, and if need be, I can hook up a space heater no problem.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There will not be a humidity problem. Dragons are arid country animals. And if you build the enclosed environment we have been talking about almost all the heat will be contained. It won't be any different than having a couple of light bulbs lit in the room.
    The outside shed probably will not be viable. During the winter, unheated, it will be too cold for most of the available heating elements to overcome. Though a space heater may solve that. There is also the problem of summer. As an outbuilding I assume its not air conditioned?

7. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Why do you want a bearded dragon?
    I would ask my kids the same question. And you had mentioned that he would be better off outside for other reason as well.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I can't imagine wanting a bearded dragon and then choosing to keep him out in the shed.

9. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

Actually, in the summer, we have to keep it air conditioned. because the freezer overheats otherwise, cus it's so old.

One other reason is that I'll have more room to work with when I build a bigger tank for it.

As for why I want one, I'm just a lover of all animals, no matter the species.

10. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Dragons, although it may not seem like it, LOVES attention. They can not be kept in a room where there is no activity. You will have a very depressed locked up dragon that were better off left in the wild. Please don't put him in the shed.:(

Dragons, like all reptiles are a very expensive hobby. You have to spent money on him every single day for food. The lights are very expensive and needs regular replacement. If you do not take care of your dragon 100% or if your dragon does not have good genes you will most probable have to pay vet bills as well.

I strongly advice that you first shop around and work out exactly what the food will cost you daily, if you can afford the food + the lights then get the correct enclosure with lights and everything else BEFORE you get your dragon. All of that should also only be done if you are prepared to keep him in the house where he can see movement and receive love, please.

11. Wildflowernw

Wildflowernw Elite Member

Listen to Wildheart, do not keep the dragon outside of the house. We all know this stuff works. If you don't see him, he's not there. I even had a spell when I first moved to this place. I ended up putting my Beardies back in a corner in my kitchen that was tough to get at. Mostly because my furniture is big house size and I'm renting tiny house.

They got ignored. For instance a heating element somehow got unplugged. (I'm betting my son used the outlet) long story short they ended up going all night than all day with nearly no heat. I didn't check them in the morning on my way out the door to work and found them very cold when I got home. Ends up they were ok but that scared me.

We all know how easy it is to forget or put off things if they're not convenient. Since then all of my critters are in our center room. I have my Chameleons right here on my desk and my CWD behind me on a bookcase till he gets bigger when he'll be put someplace else but it will be in the same room. Beardies are in a big case in the same room and they are pretty much in the middle of everything and can even watch TV. LOL

We really want you to think about this very carefully and be realistic. And they won't influence the heat and the light will probably help to dry your room out more if anything changes.

Linda

12. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

As for giving him attention, someone is out there most of the day. it's not the kind of shed you guys are thinking about, made of tin and with a few tools stored inside. It's made of wood and is fully insolated, with electricity and everything like that. We keep food, both canned, on the shelves, and frozen in the 2 freezers out there, so we make frequent trips, and my great grandpa is almost always out there doing something. it's not a long trip from the house, so going out there is no hassle. I don't do anything with/to my animals that I wouldn't want done to me. I wouldn't want to be locked up and ignored, and you can bet I won't do the same to any of my animals. If need be, I can even take my Nintendo DS out there for long periods of time just so the little bugger can watch me. I plan on handling him as often as possible, and on top of all this, my folks don't want it in the house because they are stupid like that. And as I said before, in the house, I wouldn't have the room to build him his bigger tank that he will need later on.

13. Ace

Ace Elite Member

I would still try and talk to your parents because while your intentions are too be out there whenever you can, things get in the way etc...

Plus if your beardie is in your room than maybe you could use the shed to build the new cage?
    Just a suggestion

14. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

I'll be building it in the shop/garage...and trust me, you can't talk sense into my folks, they're idiots >.> I love them, but they are idiots....

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LMAO, ALL kids think their parents are idiots at some point :p

16. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

these are my grandparents I live with. MY Dad rocks, and my Mom is cool sometimes when she isn't screaming about stuff(shes very touchy)...she's also awesome when she buys me 32" HD televisions :p

I'm not trying to talk bad about my grandparents, I love them to death, and they have done more for me than anyone could ever know, but they are impossible to reason with.

In my grandpa's words "If you want a lizard, you can get a lizard, and I'll like it no matter how much I hate to like it." He had no problem with it in the house. We can blame my Grandmother for that. leave it to a woman to be afraid of something just because it has scales >.>(no offense to the female members)

17. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Don't feel bad about the scary scales thing. My girlfriend won't let me bring a snake into the house because she's scared of them and it took my a long while to convince her to let me have my CWD ;)

18. Wildflowernw

Heck, when I was a kid we couldn't have any "animals" in the house. So I pretty much lived outside, or in the barn.

That's a great idea to put the Nintendo out with him. Don't take the lizard in the house. Just take the house to the lizard.

Linda

19. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

LOL I had every animal you can imagine growing up. (hamsters, monkey, ig, guinea pig, parrot) You name it I had it. Maybe that was a pay back when my mother brought a turtle over for my daughter. :D

20. Wildflowernw

I never had to worry about my Mom doing anything like that. First off I doubt she would allow anything to ride in her car. Plus my son has always been real neutral about critters. Just isn't important to him at all though I admit it was his idea to get the Beardies. He wanted an iguana and after some research I got him into a Beardie instead. Of course then I had to have one and then he just forgot about them and now look what happened. Crittters everywhere!

Linda

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.