This Disappears When Logged In

Problems...what Am I Doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by RigatoCaravel, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, that sounds like sick, it may just have been because he was getting ready to shed, or handling a little too much... If you`re absolutely sure the eye caps loose, I would try with a Q-tip, just very gently try and rub it off, but if you don`t feel confident is there anyone who has experience who can help?

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I would try the pillow case first. There is to much chance of damaging the eye if you use a q-tip. I feel it's safer to try all other ways BEFORE you resort to a q-tip

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

If as Murrindindi says, you feel confident enough and don't want to do the pillowcase trick- you can take a Q-Tip and wet it with water. Then GENTLY rub it across his eye continue rubbing it across his eye very gently until the eye cap comes off. Gently rubbing his eye will not harm him if you do not try to force it. I have used this technique many times for snakes that I come across in science labs at schools in the county where I work(funny, a science teacher will keep a snake in the room, but they will not touch it to help it shed). Good luck with the eyecaps and keep us posted.

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I defer to the more experienced ;)

5. David McConley

Actually, this topic came up in another post and I had not commented on it and there were several posts for and against it. I had actually started to convince myself that I had been in the wrong to do the Q-Tip trick when Merlin posted that it was not harmful if care was taken. So, I actually have Merlin to thank for that info. I think he said to use a cloth or something like that though, but Q-Tips will also do the trick.

6. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I am glad to hear that he finally shed! :) I would wait a few days before feeding like someone recommended, just to be safe. It won't hurt him and will ensure that the has had enough time to calm down before eating again. :)

7. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

Ahh. I've heard of the pillow case trick, I think. This where the snake tries to escape the wet towel and rubs up against the pillow case, loosening the eye cap, no?

8. David McConley

Hey Beardie, the wet towel is basically something for the snake to rub up against that is wet enough to loosen the eyecap so the snake can shed it on it's own. The pillowcase is just a soft enclosure that keeps the snake confined without hurting it. The pillowcase is tied shut with the snake and the towel in it, and then the pillowcase is placed into the enclosure so the snake can keep warm and safe.

9. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

A very importing fact that is sort of forgotten is the vomiting.

Regurgitation is caused by stress, getting ready to shed or handling a little too much, vomiting is a total different matter. When a snake vomits, there's a very good chance that it has to do with an internal problem. If vomiting happens more than one time and yours happened twice then a vet visit is recommended. It means your snake is sick. He is still a baby and I would not even wait to see if he vomits again - I will get him to a vet before it is to late. You need to take a stool sample with you.

Read this article if you are in doubt:
    Vomiting Vs. Regurgitation In Snakes

10. David McConley

Wildheart- thanks for bringing things back into perspective. We sort of got off track with the whole shedding problem. Of course the vomiting is a very serious matter, and she should indeed go to the vet before she does it again.

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Is it normal to feed a snake every 4-5 days? I thought they needed more time in between meals? I thought a minimum of once every 7 days was the standard? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the snake is being offered food too often/soon, this could cause a problem.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I also think feeding every 4 or 5 days is too much, the snake may not have fully digested the prey item, so to feed again so soon, can definitely cause problems... every 7 to 10 days is o.k. ( depending on the size of prey.)

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

every 4-5 days is acceptable for hatchlings, but shouldn't extend beyond the first few months of life.

14. RigatoCaravel

RigatoCaravel Member

He's acting completely normal now, like he used to. That eyecap is just not coming off. He won't let me go anywhere near it with a q-tip, even when I try and let him get used to the sight of it.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Try the pillowcase method...As far as the q-tip, it`s needs someone with some experience, I think.

16. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Do the pillow case and soak the towel and then wring it out.

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can let the snake look at the q-tip from now till doomsday and he will not allow you to do it. You will need to hold the head still.
    The pillowcase will be much less stressful for all involved.

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The pillowcase trick works wonders - you'll be surprised how such a simple thing can work so well.

19. David McConley

Merlin and Dragoness-- I agree with you 1000%(that's not a typo, I meant one thousand percent) the pillowcase trick is definitely the easiest by far, but I do the Q-Tip or wet cloth method when I encounter snakes that don't belong to me, when I am at different schools for my job.

20. Murder Serpent

Murder Serpent Elite Member

Take it out of its cage, clean the cage, keep nothing but paper towels for substrate and a white ceramic water bowl.

Hospital set up for mite infestation. 90 days or longer if the problem doesn't go away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.