This Disappears When Logged In

problems keeping humidity up

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by undrwears, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undrwears

undrwears Member

i have a aft, i have a problem keeping the humidity up near 50%, most of the time it hovers around 30%, i have been spraying it down a bit 3 times a day to keep it up, is this normal? what can i do to keep the humidity up. i have a 10 gallon (for now) 75 watt ir bulb on the hot side (peat moss) 84-86 degrees with a heat strip on the same side (4 watt), on the cool side is a piece of slate, it is around the mid 70's during the day. i have covered most of the top of the aquarium with a towel to try and keep the heat up. it is winter here and the air is dry, and friggin cold. what can i do if anything. would it be safe to coverhalf of the top screen with plexiglass or something until summer?

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Part of the problem might be the small tank with the 75 watt light. How big is your gecko? It sounds like you are taking the right steps so far.

3. undrwears

undrwears Member

4. undrwears

undrwears Member

actually i have taken out alot of that smaller (black) rock, and put a more appropriate water, and calcium dish in there..

5. venus

venus Founding Member

If he/she is six inches, you need a bigger tank. Are you misting the tank or soaking the bottom?

6. undrwears

undrwears Member

misting the tank, i just read somewhere that they have to take out the peat moss and soak every few days? maybe that is the answer in the winter

7. venus

venus Founding Member

That would be for the moist hides most likely.

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Are you sure your hygrometer is accurate? From the pics it looks pretty damp in there. Most of those small circular ones can be way off.

9. undrwears

undrwears Member

its a digital, that pic was heavily misted... it read 80 % on the scale... but within 2 hours back down to 45% and 4 hours later it was at 30

10. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Definitely an issue if it escaping through the top then.

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

yup, cover the top, at least half of it with plastic. It will keep the humidity and the heat in. Then you might be able to downgrade to a 60 watt.

12. undrwears

undrwears Member

great thanks, schlegelbagel, i will do that tonight. ill just cover half of it first, and go from there. last night i changed the tank so that the peat is on the cooler side of the tank (so that the nice moist peat is not directly under the lamp. he seems to like it better. the little guy ate 6 appropriate sized crickets last night, and the 7th kept getting away. i am glad he is eating well

13. undrwears

undrwears Member

the plastic on half of the screen top worked great got up this morning and the humidity is at 52 % normally it is down to 30 %

14. schlegelbagel

excellent!

15. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

yea! now silly question... the light isn't on top of the plastic is it?

16. undrwears

undrwears Member

lol uhhh no, i covered half of the screen with saran wrap, and put the towel back on top.
    i have some video of the bugger chasing down a few crickets, but forgot them at home i will post em tomorrow. its pretty cool

17. schlegelbagel

if you upgrade your saran wrap to plexiglass, it will help keep the heat in too.

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And in the event of it accidently coming in contact with the bulb,...
    the plexi will not immediately melt and attach itself to the bulb!

19. undrwears

undrwears Member

will do, this will have to do until i find a used 20 gal instead, if i am going to go buy some plexi and stuff ill set it up on a proper tank. hopefully it will only take a couple days, other wise i will have to buy a new one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.