This Disappears When Logged In

Problem with Humidifier Mister

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Andyc3020, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I made a mister out of a humidifier and some tubing today for my veiled chameleon "Hendrix"...

I want to set it on a timer so it turns on once every hour... When the timer turns off, the humidifier obviously turns off, but when the timer turns back on, the humidifier stays off until the power button is pressed again.

Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution? Am I going to have to take the humidifier apart to find the power source and make it stay on all the time?

here is a quick video I made showing the problem:

Chameleon mister problem - YouTube

2. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

edit: I keep calling it a mister but I guess its actually a fogger... you know What I mean :)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

About the only thing you can do, depending on your electrical ability, is to take it apart and wire across bypassing the switch. With those push button switches everytime power stops you will have to push the button again.

4. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

i'll see if I can figure it out. Thanks :)

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Before you tear into it too much run this little test. Hold the button down, unplug the thing then plug it back in. If it comes on it will be easy to bypass the switch. Otherwise it may be a lot more involved.

Edit: Just looked at your videos. If what I suggested doesn't work you would probly have to bypass the internal electronics and hook the ultrasonic devise and fan directly to the power. DO NOT do this unless you know what your doing. If you screw up you might zap yourself or create a fire hazard.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  6. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I'm pretty handy with electronics I was just hoping for an easy fix. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks

7. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

so i figured it out. if you hold the button down while you turn it on, it will stay on even if it is unplugged. so the solution is just a piece of duct tape and a penny to keep the button pushed haha. thanks for the idea Darkbird!

8. Darkbird

Lol, no problem. And no mods to the device so of it croaks under warranty you can still take it back.

9. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

well after all that it turns out I can't keep the humidity up without it running constantly....

Maybe when I get it setup the way I want with more plants it will hold the humidity better.

10. Darkbird

That's the downside with screen cages and chams . Nothing you do to a screen cage will bring the humidity up past the room relative humidity. I do know a guy breeding chameleons who doesn't use all screen enclosures. They do have a fair amount of screen, but I think it more about good airflow without sacrificing the ability to maintain humidity.