This Disappears When Logged In

Problem Eater

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by johnfin, Feb 21, 2014.

1. johnfin

johnfin New Member

Having a problem with a ETB cb baby eating. Going on 3 weeks since the original seller claims he ate. Have tried just about every thing. He just shys away from everything. Any tips or ideas.
    (SEE PICS)

Attached Files:

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Are you sure the humidity is right. From the pic it looks a little dry.... Also are you feeding live or frozen and around what time do you try feeding? Sure about temps and humidity and last how old is it? I know lots of questions lol

3. johnfin

johnfin New Member

The hum. is 70% temp 85-90f. I have a plastic lid on top of the cage to retain the moisture. I have tried frozen and live, night and day, even brained one. Also tried an afs with furr. He seems shy and wants nothing to do with it. I put him in a small container today and that did make him mad and strike but still not eating. I have another one in the same enclosure and is doing fine and eating well. He is a baby, not eactly sure the exact age. Ate one the previous owner said and its been about 3-4 weeks without eating. I would think this would be a cause for alarm.

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Another Dominance/Submissive issue? I don't know these guys as well as I would like but I know most reptiles have territory issues, this seems like a classic case of stress, hiding, and not eating from the pressure of the dominant partner.

5. JoeyG

Are they together? Didn't think they were. I going to have to say that temps see a little high for it though. Humidity also needs to be bumped up to 80% at least. How much cover does it have? I know how it feels to have a little one not eating but it happens. Personally I don't think that breeders should let them go till they are well established.... The fact that it's green should make it a little older so try leaving a live pinkie in with it and let them be. Make sure temps are only in the mid 80s and temps no lower the 80%. Are you using tongs to try to feed?

6. johnfin

johnfin New Member

Snakes are not together. I have tried feeding with tongs and have left live pinkies in the cage overnight. What color are baby ETB's? How many weeks should go by before I should take to a vet?

7. JoeyG

Usually red but I'm thinking something has to be off in the tank. Does it have lots of cover? I still say raise your humidity and lower temps a bit. Check out mvf forum for tips on feeding babies. Lots of threads on chondros with feeding issues but these two species are so similar that the same tricks often work for both. It's well worth a try, everything from teasing them to using chick fuss

8. johnfin

johnfin New Member

If baby ETB's are red, how long does it take for them to turn green? Took him to the vet today and they tube fed him. The herp vet said if babies dont eat its usually a sign of an abnormality, ie an internal defect and the snake will probably die. One good note is that he kept the food down so its a waiting game for a stool sample now.