This Disappears When Logged In

probiotic use and antibiotic

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Mark, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark Elite Member

OK guys I'm an engineer not a chem head so here goes nothing.

Why is it general practice to give probiotics at the same time as giving antibiotics especially when both are given orally? I understand their use after. As I see it the antibiotic will kill off the probiotic and not be as potent to kill off what is needed to be killed.

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I was under the impression that the probiotics should be used when the course of antibiotics is done....to replace the gut flora......maybe Im wrong??

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My understanding as well.
    Doesn't seem to make much sense to apply the probiotics at the same time as something that will neutralize it.

4. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

My understanding is the same. Antibiotics don't pick and choose what flora they kill off, they usually kill off everything. Probiotics cultivate good flora back into the intestinal track.

5. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

I agree with the rest. It's usually Probiotics after a course of anti-biotics is finished in order to replenish the gut flora killed by the ABX.

6. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

That's correct, the good gut flora dies that breaks down the food and provides vitamins, minerals, and energy, and why I don't take antibiotics unless it's serious.

7. Mark

Mark Elite Member

I have been corresponding via email with someone I have met over on a yahoo advanced iguana mailing list and here is what he has told me:

another few users there have spoke along the same lines.

8. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

This is probably a moot point now, but I have ALWAYS given probiotics during AND after ABX treatment. Having spent over 5 years on Cipro 750 (twice a day) and Zithromax (daily), I've done the same for MYSELF as well.

The logic behind this is giving the body as much support as possible. Yea, the ABX will be doing its work killing off the pathogen and probiotics, but the probiotics will be doing their work supporting the gut flora and keeping yeast overgrowth at bay.

Basically you'll be feeding the good bacteria while the ABX is killing the bad bacteria, and the overall end result will be a body that comes through the treatment in better shape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.