This Disappears When Logged In

Prime Eating?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by SomeLizardsInABucket, Nov 24, 2017.

1. SomeLizardsInABucket

SomeLizardsInABucket Well-Known Member

Some of you are familiar with my ongoing battle to get my ball python to eat. I took her to a reptile vet to have her checked over and she was found to be completly healthy (save for a fecal sample, since I couldn't get one). The vet recommended turning my heat up to see if those few extra degrees gets a response. I changed all the substrate out, since it had not been done yet, and put down paper towels. Recently she has kept her neck in an S shape up off the ground, and is more jumpy when I touch her. She's not acting like she's about to shed. Could this be that feeding response I've been waiting for?
    Hot side air temps are about 90, and she has multipul hot spots, none below 80, none over 100, on the side.
    Cool side is more around 80 or so, maybe a little less since she keeps knocking my thermometers down.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

It sounds like she's getting primed for a meal. Not sure if you covered this in your other posts but what size food item are you offering, what size is the enclosure, and can we have some pics of the enclosure?

3. SomeLizardsInABucket

The last meal she took was a medium rat fresh killed and the rat she has now is f/t. Keep in mind that I did offer her a fresh killed again and she didn't want it. Her enclosure is handmade wood, which I made sure myself is snake safe, and about 6'×1'×2' (length, height, width), however there are inserts to partition off a portion to make it shorter. She has two main hides on either side, then a hollow log and a thick "canopy" and drapery of different plants. I don't have any pictures on my phone, and I don't want to disturb her since I put food in there already, but I'll try to get some tomorrow if she does not eat

4. AmityReptiles

Does she strike the food at all when you dangle it?

5. SomeLizardsInABucket

No, but she is afraid of live prey (hisses and curls up), so maybe dangling is not having an effect on her like on other snakes.
    I know people have had results feeding them closer to dusk, and it's winter here, so she could also just be slowing down for the cold season, but she has lost some weight. She has a little wound on her underbelly, if that's helpful, and she's still active and exploring and moving stuff around, her scales are still smooth and flat and her eyes are clear. She hasn't eating in maybe 8 months but she does still shed every few weeks, which I find weird.

6. AmityReptiles

What are your temps like? What is this wound on the belly? Sure it's not just it's belly button?
    Sorry for all the questions. Some of my snakes don't strike either.

7. SomeLizardsInABucket

As I said before, hot side air temps are about 90, and she has multipul hot spots, none below 80, none over 100, on the side.
    Cool side is more around 80 or so, maybe a little less since she keeps knocking my thermometers down. No, it's an actual wound, mostly gone now. I am not sure what she did, but it's maybe eight inches down her body, just a little patch of scales on her side that had been disturbed, and on her underbelly there was a little wound. It's gone now, save for a bit of discoloration, and I don't remember exactly what the wound looked like. However I took her to the vet the same day it happened and she either got herself trapped in a tight place between something and the front of the cage, or she got stuck in the log, struggled, and pulled herself back out wrong.

8. AmityReptiles

Well hopefully she eats soon then, at this point nothing seems clearly wrong... maybe you can try scenting if she doesn't eat soon. Sorry I can't be of more help.

9. SomeLizardsInABucket

The vet also suggested offering her different prey to see if we get a new response. I'm going to give her something new, and if she hasn't eaten by morning weigh her. Depending on her weight, we will return to the vet for bloodwork. Though I hope we don't have to.

10. SomeLizardsInABucket

Amazing news everyone! After almost nine months, the night of 11/24/17, Nagini ate 2 large mice! I would rather her eat rats, but she's lost a lot of weight, and I'll be going today to get her more. I'll be trying to scent rats, and we will get her to a good weight!

11. AmityReptiles

Awesome! Very glad to hear it.

12. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Good going! I have found that these snakes tend to rather like mice, when they will not eat rats. Best of luck getting her back to her former weight! And eating rats again.