This Disappears When Logged In

Pregnant AFT...HELP

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by TuesdaiC, Feb 25, 2010.

1. TuesdaiC

TuesdaiC Elite Member

So i bought my aft almost a month ago and noticed it was eating alot then she stopped eating so i took her to the vet on Monday and found out that shes pregnant with full term eggs and she should be having them at anytime. The only problem is...shes very young. I didnt know she was pregnent when i bought her til i took her to the vet. shes only 5 1/2 to 6 inches from nose to end of her tail and only weighs 24 grams (i think thats right). The vet doesnt know if shes gonna make it through it because of how small she is. Otherwise i can do surgery but he says that with as little as she is he dont know if she'll even make it through surgery.

has anyone ever had a small gecko like her lay eggs? Just wondering if you guys think she'll be ok.

Thanks in advance

2. dpal666

dpal666 New Member

the best you can do is amke sure to load her on calcium, and feed her till she's stuffed.

once she lays, it's gonna take a lot out of her, so offer more food and calcium, as well as haveing a bowl of calcium available to her. If she makes it through the laying, she'll know what to do as long as its offered.

good luck!

don

3. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I'm hoping and praying for the best!! Just do all you can to keep her as healthy as possible! Make sure she doesn't get too stressed and eats well and gets lots of calcium! Good luck with your little mommy, I hope she makes it through this!!

4. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I have had young leos lay eggs same as your case, Gravid from the store, but not showing at the time I bought her. Keep her well fed and hydrated. An provide an optimal laying area. Then hope for the best, It could be that she lays the eggs fine, but will be very weak after that and refuse to eat.

5. Ashuresque

Ashuresque Elite Member

What do you plan on doing with the eggs?

6. TuesdaiC

TuesdaiC Elite Member

she stopped eating for awhile and will not eat for me. she just had 2 crickets last night. ive tried everything to get her to eat more. i know she drinks alot and i have calcium in her tank for her and also a laying box. if she is able to lay the eggs ill incubate them and see if there fertile. the vet told me to give her warm baths 3 times a day. she seems to like them. she just lays down and closes her eyes. im very worried about her just because she is so small. the vets on speed dial just in case there is any complications, but i cant sleep anymore. im up all nite just so i can make sure shes ok. this is very stressful!!!

thanks everyone

7. purplemuffin

Make sure you give her space though! Sometimes geckos won't want to lay their eggs unless they feel secure and know no predator will get to them! I'm pretty sure eating less means she's very close to laying, right? Watch her for digging and see if she's getting ready to lay! We're all crossing our fingers for you!!

8. TuesdaiC

TuesdaiC Elite Member

ya she was digging last week. so i know shes gonna try to lay them here soon. shes very big in the belly. i hope she lays them soon. i only bother her for her baths but she gets excited when i take her out for them. shes such a good girl. i dont wanna go against the vet but i would like to just leave her alone so she can lay them but he obviously went to school for reptiles so he knows what hes talking about and what would be best for her. she doesnt seem to get stressed out or get upset. i try to space her baths out a lil bit but i let her have from 7pm to 9am to herself.

9. purplemuffin

That's good, just keep watching for signs, it should be soon now if she's digging! For leopards it takes like 2-5 weeks for the eggs, so I can imagine for AFTs it would be similar. Make sure she always has the option to eat if she wants to and have calcium always there too! Let us know when she lays!

10. TuesdaiC

TuesdaiC Elite Member

is there anything i can try giving her so maybe she'll eat a lil bit. i know ppl say baby food but i didnt think there bodys could handle the sugar.

any suggestions?

11. TuesdaiC

TuesdaiC Elite Member

so she had her eggs...one on saturday morning and one yesterday (monday) morning. just wanted to let everyone know shes ok.

12. purplemuffin

Great news!! I'm so happy she's alright! Now time to get her strength back up!

13. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I'm really glad to hear that everything went well with the laying, If you get her eating give her a few wax worms. Their fatty but she'll need that now.

14. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm glad to hear she managed to lay her eggs....thoughts are with you and her in that she regains her strength/health and appetite real soon.