This Disappears When Logged In

Powersun MVB Lighting Bulbs Info

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by kriminaal, Feb 7, 2012.

1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Attached Files:

2. kriminaal

Any additional information please respond to this thread and I will move it to original post.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

That`s the case with any MVB, there are certain minimum distances the bulbs must be set from the animal. Those might vary between different makes of bulb, and in some cases, different wattages, too.

4. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Good thread, Mike. When I first rescued an adult mali uromastyx a month or so ago I set up temporary lighting/heating using a PowerSun 160 MVB over the tank the uro was in the day I brought her home, the same tank she was in all five plus years her life. That tank was a mere 20 gallons, over 2x smaller than recommended for this species. Anyway, the bulb was set approximately 17" away from the basking surface and, on it's own, provided a 110f basking temp. With a 60w CHE I got basking temps up to 115f, which is still a bit cool for this genus of lizard. Point is the choice of bulb, in this instance, depends on ambient room temps, the type of enclosure, additional heating and lighting as well as the species of reptile. It's not as simple as 'if you have this size tank choose this bulb'; Just something to keep in mind.

5. kriminaal

Good points, I added them.

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Another thing worth mentioning is that if the room/space the enclosure is kept does not have any form of consistent temperature control it would be a good idea to set up some type of dedicated temperature control for your reptile that can be automatically or easily adjusted manually. In my case I decided to go with an additional separate heating bulb (halogen flood) that is wired to a dimmer switch, which can be adjusted on the fly if need be. Another method is to add a thermostat to control another heating source, like a CHE or additional bulb. Since MVBs cannot be hooked up to a dimmer/rheostat and should not be controlled by a thermostat it would be a wise idea to always have a secondary form of heating in place in case it's needed. Doing so will also create a backup in case a bulb happens to blow out while you are not home--at least there would be some form of supplemental heat remaining.

Also, while I do not think it's the intention of this thread, it's important to remember that while MVBs are arguably the next best available UVB source to direct sunlight they are not always the best choice for every single setup out there.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Mike, you can delete this message when you`ve read it; it would be better to include the size of enclosure as well as type, because with Powersun`s there`s a minumum recommended size for different wattages. (So have "Type and size of enclosure")...

8. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Unless it's broken down further in the main post I don't think deleting posts that provide more detailed descriptions would be wise. If anything detailed explanations should be added to the main post beneath each 'factor', for lack of a better word. The post should be set up as an in-depth product sheet, in my opinion.

9. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

So, the minimum distance is 12 in regardless of the wattage, correct? I am unable to find any info on the maximum distance. Anybody?

10. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

so minimum 12 inches. plus say 6 inches for fixture arms dome etc... you need a minimum of 18 inches from the basking area to the top of the enclosed habitat just for the lights to be safe(ish) 24 would be even better. then you have 6 inches of basking furniture to play with ... wow.. this habitat is getting bigger . Ive seen some beautiful Vivariums and Im looking at levels etc so 2+feet.
    May