This Disappears When Logged In

Potentially Harmful Plant? Unknown Pesticide Use..

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by Lefitte, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Lefitte

Lefitte Member

I'm new to owning reptiles and brought my girl home only one week ago today. She's a little 2 month old Cal king. I've been looking for things to touch up her enclosure some, specifically looking for something that she can climb and hide in at the same time. At my work we have these tiny 'zen' plants [I work at Walgreens] and after doing some research I learned that ficus is reptile safe but that I would need to change the soil in the plant to organic to make sure I didn't use anything with fertilizers or anything that might be harmful.

I brought home a little ficus benjimina. Then I read something about pesticides and such things being on the plant itself, which I hadn't considered. I have no idea what could have been used but it's a cheap little decoration from a chain drug store. I'm not looking to do a full planted enclosure but one would be nice and this one fit the lighting, water, and heating requirements of the tank.

27yz9eg.jpg

Is there any where to make the plant safe for my snake?

I have not put it in with her, it's behind the tank and she keeps sniffing at it, looking at it, which makes me think she really would use it and enjoy it and it'd make for some nice enrichment in her home.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Logan

Logan Elite Member

You could wash the leaves and such off gently. But I think the only way to full remove any chemicals is to replant it and let it cycle out. I'm not sure on timeline on that though.

3. Lefitte

Lefitte Member

Cycle out as in trimming and letting it regrow or..?

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to replant it.