This Disappears When Logged In

Potential Pink-Tongued Skink

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by adamaloi97, Dec 22, 2014.

1. adamaloi97

adamaloi97 Member

Hi everyone! Lately I have been contemplating the idea of getting a pink-tongued skink. I currently I own a Pictus Gecko, a Gargoyle Gecko, a Gold Dust Day Gecko, a Mali Uromastyx, and 2 Pygmy Bearded Chameleons, but I have never owned a skink and I am really interested!

Anyways, I have an available 20 gallon long enclosure, and I do not want to buy a new cage. Would this enclosure size be adequate for an adult pink-tongue? If not, are there any other species of skink that you would recommend for a 20 gallon? I know fire skinks would work, but I would prefer a more "handleable" species of skink, if that is at all possible. I have researched pink-tongued care, and I have heard many conflicting opinions on their enclosure size, ranging from a pair living in a 10 gallon to a single adult not being able to live in anything smaller than a 2'x2'x2'. Please let me know your experiences/input. Thank you very much!

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I would recommend a minimum of 4L x 2W x 2H (feet), this is in reality a "matchbox". Many people put them in the smallest possible space for reasons best known to themselves which to me is quite confusing considering the wild is a BIG place and they most definitely use more space than most of us provide in captivity.

3. adamaloi97

adamaloi97 Member

Thank you for the reply! I really needed a definitive answer and I am so glad to have finally gotten one (although I am disappointed that I won't be getting this species).

So now on to the next issue: which species of skink (or any lizard, preferable handleable) would be able to live comfortably in a 20 long?

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, the problem with these very small fishtanks is that it can be difficult to get a decent temp and humidity range. If you can do that, then I would think there are a number of smaller skinks that would be o.k, but I can`t tell you a specific type, just something that grows to around 15 to 25cm (6 to 10 inches). I wouldn`t advise a lizard that likes to climb to any extent because of the lack of height. I also expect you would need to have the heat/light bulb outside the enclosure which isn`t always the best way (but it can work).
    I keep thinking of more... Skinks voluntarily lose their tails so you would need to be careful about handling (they will regrow).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014