This Disappears When Logged In

potato

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by jengal, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jengal

jengal Elite Member

What do you all think of keeping a potato in the AFTs' cage to help keep up the ambient humidity? Today, I nuked a potato for about 2 minutes, waited for it to cool down a little, then stuck it in the corner of their house for the day. It interests them zero, which is fine. So far, it seems to work beautifully. The warm temperature causes the moisture to release steadily throughout the day, and the humidity gauge was just right.

Have any of you tried this? Might there be any hidden dangers that I've failed to take into consideration?

Thanks much,

Jennifer

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Haha, i've never heard of this! As long as the potato isn't too warm and you aren't leaving it in there to get moldy I don't see why not...

3. Palaeomike

Palaeomike Elite Member

Never heard of putting a potatoe into a gecko cage before. Interesting usage of a potatoe, that's for sure. No problems that I can think of.

4. jengal

jengal Elite Member

As to Lacey's comment, I certainly wouldn't let it get moldy. In fact, the longer it's in there, the drier it gets, thus less propitious to mold proliferation.

So, I'll go with it for a while and let y'all know if I run into trouble. (ha ha)

Jennifer

5. Palaeomike

Palaeomike Elite Member

"In fact, the longer it's in there, the drier it gets, thus less propitious to mold proliferation."

-You are exactly right.

6. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have never heard of this either, but I had one immediate concern when I read it. My first thought was bugs, particularly fruit flies or potatoe bugs.

7. jengal

jengal Elite Member

It's still in the peel, so shouldn't attract as many fruit flies. But I have no idea what a potato bug looks like. So, I'll find a pic on Internet, and keep my eyes out for them. And I'll letch'all know if this becomes an issue, in which case the entire idea can be nixed. What a cliffhanger!

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Wow Jennifer, you are a thinker.

10. Palaeomike

Palaeomike Elite Member

"My first thought was bugs, particularly fruit flies or potatoe bugs."

-Potatoe bugs wouldn't be harmful to the geckos, would they? I wouldn't think so, but you may know something I don't, Rich.

11. undrwears

undrwears Member

potato bugs live on the plant that grows the potato they show never show up in your tank, because they eat the plant not the potato

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.