This Disappears When Logged In

Posting Language

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Merlin, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It doesn't take that much time to post something legibly.
    And you will get a much better answer to your post if can actually be read!
    When you post, go back through and read your own post.
    If it isn't easy for YOU to read imagine what it is like for the rest of us!

2. JMM

JMM Elite Member

A big thank you for having this rules in the forum (from a non-english native speaker).

Apart from the slang and the shorthand issue, as in Portugal we normally use the latin names, my first difficulty was to learn the English ones (and they vary a bit... - to give you an example, when I first joined I needed to find a post with photos to realize that a "Ball" was a Phyton regius. King Phyton or Royal Phyton would be easy, but Ball... I had no idea at the beginning, eheh) And when the names are abbreviated or only in capital letters, its even more difficult, specially for a "newbie" in the forum like me.

So, Matt, that link is absolutely fantastic. I have it always active, and now am understanding faster what you all are talking about in several posts.

3. Merlin

If at anytime something is posted that you do not understand or confuses you, please do not hesitate to ask about it!
    I can guarantee that no one is going to flame you or put you down for asking a legitimate question!
    We do our best to accommodate ALL our members and it is simply common courtesy.
    Yes it DOES still exist.
    At least here!;)

4. JMM

JMM Elite Member

I´m already feeling that, Merlin.
    Thank you

5. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

You could have fooled me, you do a very good job and I commend you for it!

7. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Hey ya'll; I was reading from the beginning of this thread, through to the end, and I'd like to start a new thread. The original point of the thread seems to have 'strayed' off a little bit, not much, but some. Is 'wandered' better?

Anyway the title of the new thread will be "Fun With Words". We in the English speaking community take for granted some of the words used in our everyday conversations. Those who do not speak English as a first language, may sometimes feel overwhelmed by some of the, (here you go Wildheart!;)) idiosyncrasies of the English language.

Go to the new thread, post up your favorites, and have some fun. We'll be giving out English lessons at the same time!:)

8. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

See you their.:p

Just joking, Thank You Lacey.... See you THERE!;)

9. LeeLeeCrestee

LeeLeeCrestee Well-Known Member

well said Merlin...Technology these days.

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

This may sound really stupid, but what does IM's stand for?? :confused:
    Michele

11. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

Instant Messaging!

12. IguanaMom

IguanaMom Elite Member

Hey Donna Im with you I didnt know what that meant!1

Nat

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I was assuming it meant Instant Messaging, but I use it so seldom, I thought it might mean something else.

14. Merlin

And that is part of the issue with the abbreviations!
    What means something to one person and their circle of friends may mean something else entirely to someone else.
    Or mean nothing at all.

15. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Us old folks can't keep up with all the new fads in communication! So the rules need to be kept so that we can all understand each other!

16. aggie

aggie Member

Rich,
    I joined a while back but was without a computer for a while..... so now I will be more involved . . can you tell me how I can communicate with moshpitrockchick, as I think we both live in south africa and I would like to chat with her . .

17. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

She resides in Spokane, Washington, USA!

18. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I think that you are talking about MJVR, she is in South Africa, but I haven't seen her on for a while.
    http://www.herpcenter.com/members/mjvr-11774.html

19. budhorse4

budhorse4 Well-Known Member

I find it amusing that even though I'm a teenager, I hate it when people write "text speech." I just find it so dang hard to understand!

Wow, old post is old. I should really start looking at dates before I say something :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.