This Disappears When Logged In

Posting Language

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Merlin, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi Beth
    I think abbreviations like BP (Ball Python) and CWD are fine. If people don't know what it is, they usually ask. The biggest problems are the posts that have no capital letters, no punctuation and abbreviated computer words (like Chronic's example: "i hav no clu wut ur sayin")
    Posts like that make reading them VERY tedious and frustrating. Sometimes I've spent so much time trying to figure out what the question is that I'm either too irritated to write a response or I just don't have the time anymore!

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Yes, abbreviating herp names is something we all do. When you are in this hobby, learning the abbreviated names just comes with the hobby. Like Andrea said, its those that write everything in shorthand that makes things difficult. I have added the spellcheck to the site in an effort to cut down on the shorthand.

3. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY Elite Member

Since I'm oh so lazy to read three pages. What about latin nanes also? I try to avoid english whenever possible on other forums but never knew about here

4. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Latin names are fine. It's short hand (ie. cuz instead of because) and lack of punctuation that are not allowed.

5. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

:) I still don't know all the herp name abbreviations yet, but I'm learning. I do however use CWD a lot.:p

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

7. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY Elite Member

Holy crackerjacks. How long did those take you?

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

lol, I just add new stuff when I see it and add it to HC's list ;)

9. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

Thanks for the links and might I say WOW!!:D

10. Snakes Inc.

Snakes Inc. Member

As English is my first language and yes Merlin you did post absolute gibberish so here is an example of my second language called Afrikaan, which originated from Dutch but is an amalgamation of a number of European languages only spoken in South Africa.

11. venus

venus Founding Member

Can you please post exactly what that is saying.

12. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Marsha thanks for the reminder!! There are many times when I'll give up on reading a post because I don't know the slang and it takes too long to figure it out.

13. venus

venus Founding Member

Bumping to top of list so we are reminded not to use shorthand, slang or IM terms. Not everyone uses them or knows what they mean.

14. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Its funny that this is now on the recent posts lists. I just sent a user a PM this morning regarding this exact thread. lol

15. venus

venus Founding Member

I guess great minds think alike :D...now get outta my head, theres only room for one :p

16. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Room for one...pssh...you know you have a party going on in there Marsha!

17. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

THANK YOU for the reminder!!! :)
    I find posts with shorthand and no punctuation SO frustrating that I usually don't even try to read them to the end. If I do, I'm usually too irritated to write an answer.

18. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I too get very frustrated by shorthand in posts. If it's real bad I won't even take the time to read it let alone reply to it.

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats one of the (many) reasons we stress this!
    If people can't understand what you write you aren't going to get any replies.
    And if a post is too illegible it will be removed!
    And we REALLY dislike having to remove a post!

20. venus

venus Founding Member

Admin note

We have many different countries on the forum and we ask that members use spell check and refrain from using slang or IM talk. Sometimes its is hard to read posts without proper spelling, spaces, caps and punctuation. Doesn't have to be perfect, just readable.

Thank you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.