This Disappears When Logged In

Posting Language

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Merlin, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This is a notice to all members. While we realize that with the advent of text messaging and IM's it has become fashionable to write in a "shortcut" type of fashion. Please refrain from doing this on this forum and in our chatroom. Keep in mind that this is an international forum and for some members english is a secondary language. It can be difficult enough for them to translate posts in regular english into something they can understand. While things written like
    and
    may be totally legible to you and your friends, to some of our members they appear as totally indeciperable gibberish.
    Lets keep Herpcenter "user friendly" for ALL our members.
    Thanks

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Good point, Merlin. As an English teacher in Switzerland, I personally find it irritating and I know that my students would be COMPLETELY lost if they read something like that!!!
    Thank you!!!

3. Merlin

Heck Andrea, there are some times when I have to re-read it to see what was being said!

4. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Thank you for mentioning that, Merlin! I have a lot of trouble reading "shorthand" on forums...

5. BlackJack

In the chat room, I'd get really interested when I read "brb" because I thought they were going to start a conversation about Brazilian Rainbow Boas ... you can imagine how disappointed I got when the person left the chat room right afterwards!!!

Very frustrating!

6. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I would have to agree with this. I myself use it when chatting with friends off board, but I don't do so in the public domain. There are just too many nationalities for word plays to be used.

In addition to the difficult translation, members that come across that and don't realize that it is shorthand, think the site is loaded with misspelled words. That could cause people to be turned away. In all actuality, posters that use proper grammar actually receive more hits. People are turned off by the shorthand.

I went one step further and added a spellcheck to the site. It doesn't catch every word as it only contains roughly 50,000-100,000 words in the dictionary. (I will search out a better dictionary list once I am caught up with everything.) It does however help correct spelling mistakes. I use it on all my posts. lol

7. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

BRB, LOL, AFK things like that have always been used in chat, they are not english cut short like cuz and wut and ur,

I am hoping we can still use these abbreviations ?

8. BlackJack

I've never used chat rooms before this. Now I know what brb, lmao and lol mean but what does AFK mean?
    (I don't really mind those kinds of shortcuts... now I just ask when I don't get it.)

PS -- Rich I think the spell-check is a great idea!

9. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

AFK = away from keyboard :D

10. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Wow I didnt even know that one "LOL" Thanks Donna...Lyn

11. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I tend to use lol and brb occasionally, but those are the only ones I know. I'll try and cut down on the usage ;) You made an excellent point though Merlin. That's one of the reasons I made an updated abbreviations/acronym list on my site. With all the acronyms out there for herps, it could get confusing, even if english is your main language. I included scientific names too cause common names vary, I've got a friend in the netherlands who has trouble with all the common names people come up with.

12. Merlin

The simple little abbreviations commonly used in chat like BRB and LOL are fine. They are not really the problem. Its when sentences are made up of the type of verbage I listed that the confusion begins.

13. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I hav no clu wut ur saying :)

I think this is an excellent idea. If I can hardly read the some of the sentences, I would never think someone who is not fluent in english would even be able to start to comprehend. I also think that punctuation should be used. Nothing serious but how hard is it to insert a period or comma every once in a while?

14. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Beside the initial point made by Merlin there's a second one even more important IMHO (in my humble opinion), searching.
    If u writ lik this, we can understand but search engines don't. The forum search will not find appropriate results, HC will be indexed for gibberish by major search engines, etc.

On my site, I've made it a requisite for membership, whether you write proper Portuguese or you don't write anything at all.

Either way, thanks from a non (english) native speaker =)

15. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

So far I learnd what lol means,and lmao!But with a post written in shortcut I'm in trouble and I need to read really slow to understand it,'cause english is not my language.But I love to use "lol",because it can express a feeling (laughter) which you can't see on the computer,and I think "lol" is very nice! I love to use it,because you guys can be so funny sometimes that it's great to show you I need to laugh!! I think I even saw "lol" on a german forum,so it must be an international computer language!LOL!

16. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

LOL LOL LOL Jacky :D

17. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

LOL... Rich actually told me that one, I didnt know it either :D

18. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

oops :( sorry, i do have a problem with using shorthand. I didn't stop to think about the international part of it. I'll try to speak in clear english from now on :)

19. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Folks,

I am in total agreement on this subject. My kids not only IM like tis but now they write notes this way too. Heck, I had enough trouble with English when I was in school 25 years ago, I sure do not need to start learning a new language now!

Steven

20. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

Can we still use things like CWD when referring to Chinese water dragons? Or should we start to type it out? I agree that many people don't understand shorthand at all. I didn't even think about it before, but it does kind of bother me when things like "wut" are used.

Thanks for letting us know Merlin.

Beth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.