This Disappears When Logged In

Possibly Getting a Sand Boa

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by northcountry, Dec 3, 2012.

1. northcountry

northcountry Elite Member

I just have a few questions.

I need some ideas on how to make a secure lid for a 20 gallon long. Also how long will it be able to stay in a 20 gallon long, ive heard they can for there whole life and would like to double check

2. williamweir10

williamweir10 Elite Member

From what I know, sand boas don't get very large, so a 20g should be fine.. As far as 'securing' the lid, what do you mean exactly?

3. northcountry

I have a screen lid for it now just curious on how to hold it down other than cheap clips

4. williamweir10

Sand boas don't get very big/long, so just placing something heavy like a book or something on top should be heavy enough to keep it from opening it.. I had my ball python in a 25 gallon with a screen lid, without anything on top, and he wasn't strong enough to open it up (or he never tried, don't know).

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Velcro!
    DSC01313.jpg
    DSC01314.jpg

Attached Files:

6. justor

justor Elite Member

I actually like those little clip things. The velcro seems like a good idea too!

7. northcountry

I love the Velcro idea. Cheap quick and simple

8. williamweir10

Yeah, forget what I said, haha!! That Velcro is an awesome idea!!

9. Merlin

And those held the lid on a 4 ft boa constrictor! It should easily secure a sand boa.

10. northcountry

Im gonna head to the craft store today and find some

11. Merlin

Actually go to the hardware store. That is industrial strength velcro, not the light stuff you get at sewing places.

12. northcountry

Im hoping they have the stuff that isnt velcro but actually little interlocking balls

13. SilverFox13

SilverFox13 Member

Just be careful with the tank size. Most Male Sand Boas only need a 10 gallon max. The females get larger and are the ones that need a 20L. However, there are always exceptions to the rule. I have one 19in, 150gram male sand boa that lives in a 20L and eats happily and is very comfortable. Then I have my other 15in, 90gram male that can't live in a 20L and he has to be in a 10gal to be comfortable.

14. justor

justor Elite Member

I just can't wrap my head around this, particularly the part in bold. How could an animal that is supposed to live in the vastness of the wilderness think that a measly 20 gallon tank is too big. That's barely over two square feet of space, how could that possibly be too big for anything? I realize they might not need that much space, but how could it hurt? I don't know, I'm not too familiar with this species, but my philosophy when it comes to keeping wild animals in captivity is that there's no such thing as too big of an enclosure, assuming that we're not talking about just an empty tank with a snake in it.

15. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

Maybe a bolt lock?