This Disappears When Logged In

Possible RI?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by alpine, Jun 23, 2013.

1. alpine

alpine Elite Member

So I was looking at my little Andromeda (The same sideways/backwards eating Andromeda) and she seems to be doing a little bit of stargazing. This is not her usual starting at things, definitely star gazing. I think I might have an early RI on my hands here but can this happen if say she is too full? If she drank a lot (which she does) and had a large meal (which she did) and perhaps it has something to do with that? She ate readily yesterday and today I noticed the behavior so I think I caught it early. I upped the temperatures for her as well as for my other snakes, I moved her away, and I broke out a secondary heating pad to increase her temperatures as well. If she doesn't get better in the next few days then I am going to really look for a good Herp vet in the area. Is there anything else I can do for her?

Forgot to mention that I got out the second heat pad to increase the ambient temps. I placed a towel around her enclosure and put the heat pad on top. That one is unregulated and I don't have anymore space on my thermostat to add it so I have to separate it a little bit so that she still gets the heat but she doesn't get burned at all.. So I have it set up to just heat and I am going to monitor her closely to see how things go.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't believe star gazing is really connected to an RI.. Can you be more specific about the symptoms? Also what have her conditions been like to make you think she has one? you have done all that can be done if she does have one though, other then a Vet visit

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

In boas and pythons, stargazing is a sign of inclusion body disease. If you turn her upside down can she right herself? Make sure she is stretched and not in a ball. If she cannot it may be ibd which is very bad. She probably needs a vet right away. Research the symptoms though as I've never dealt with it personally.

4. alpine

alpine Elite Member

She seems to have had a case of stomach upset. I went to work today and came back and she had thrown up. And yeah she rights herself. She is perfectly in order now.

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I'd give her 10-14 days of hands off to let her stomach settle and then try to feed her again with a smaller then normal meal. Regurging can become cronic and fatal.

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Also raise the temps up a little just incase she is coming down with something

7. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Regurgitating is also a sign. Just FYI.

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Here's an article you can read. Keep a very close eye on it. I do know the symptoms can show up all at once or over time.

http://www.anapsid.org/ibd.html

9. Sarandacotah

Sarandacotah Well-Known Member

Regurgitating is not a valid sign of IBD. Snakes regurgitate for so many reasons that is completely silly to assume it is IBD. I stressed my self out hardcore when I first got a snake. Always thought the poor baby had it. hyposnakiac...