This Disappears When Logged In

Possible Male & Female

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by Frognut, May 26, 2010.

1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

To those that haven't heard the story - I got my two (supposedly female) crested gecko's in Aug 2009, they were approximately 4 grams each, and it wasn't until 12/2009 that I noticed other's geckos were much larger. In December 09 mine were both about 6 grams.

The breeder I got them from had a hatch date of 11/17/08 which would have made them 1 year old -- everyone guessed they probably had the wrong date - or the wrong gecko's because they were way too small to be 1 year old.

On 5/2/10 I weighed them again and Heebie is now 10 grams and Jeebie is 13 grams. Also at that same time I updated their tank to a 24H x 24W x 18D.

Despite them being small and probably MUCH younger than expected - I never gave it much thought to their sex.... until now...

Jeebie is starting to get a noticeable bulge :eek:. (Heebie has no such bulge) In the last few weeks I have also noticed that they stay on different sides of the tank, they used to snuggle together.

SO, the questions I'm trying to get to are these:

Is this the right size for them to develop 'The Bulge'? (since we really have no idea how old they are).

What should I worry about with them possibly breeding? - I don't want babies. Is it okay to wait until they seem to be interested in breeding before I work on separation?

Since my tank space is limited, could I divide the current tank in half and still give them enough room? (which is why I was thinking of waiting before trying to separate) Not to mention I JUST bought this darn tank! :rolleyes:

If I can divide the tank, is plexiglass ok? or should I use a thin plywood instead? Clear or opaque would be the issue.

That's it for now, but don't worry - with every answer you know I'll have another question :p

Thanks! :D

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Steph, from what I`ve read, these animals can reach sexual maturity at approx 8 months of age, the males can develop the hemipeneal bulge at 5 to 6 months old, they are difficult to STOP breeding! The female can lay between 10 to 20 clutches a year, (two eggs per clutch), I personally would separate them now, use plywood or opaque plastic to partition the tank if you`re doing it that way.
    P.S.
    I`m slightly disappointed that I won`t be getting any of the babies (if you could bear to part with any out of the possible 40 you`d be getting), but that`s life, I guess. :(

3. Frognut

LOL! It seems I'm always disappointing you, Stefan -- no snake bite pics, no gecko babies.... :rolleyes: You are VERY high maintenance! :p

It really wouldn't be too big a problem to place a partition in the tank, but is the tank big enough to do that? I guess at their current size/weight they are probably fine - but would that be permanent?

And definitely opaque? I only wonder because it would cut some of the natural light (not direct however) getting to Jeebie's side of the tank.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Steph, I`m getting mixed up (again), YES it should be plenty big enough divided into two.
    The partition means you could have a strip light running almost the length, (just cut a small section for it to pass through), but separate heat sources, if you used 1/2 inch plywood or plexi it should be o.k, just check the temps aren`t too hot. If it were clear they would be constantly trying to get to each other, which would be quite stressful.
    P.S I AM high maintenance, but surely to goodness I`m worth it Stephanie, surely to goodness I am?????

5. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Just did the conversion: Her current tank is ~45 gallons US

6. Frognut

And split in half that is about 22.5 gallons each (thanks Kazooguy2) - that's big enough for one... isn't it?

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry, my fault, it sounds fine!

8. Frognut

Great! I was worried about having to get ANOTHER tank! :rolleyes:

During the warmer months they don't have any extra lighting or heat in their enclosure - the house temps are fine (if not sometimes too hot for them). In the winter I add a 25watt bulb overtop the enclosure which raises the temps perfectly - it won't be an issue with the plywood there. His side will just be a little darker, since Heebie's side gets indirect light from the kitchen.

LOL! Stefan you are mostly worth it :)p) -- but I'm still not going to TRY to get bit by my snake just so you can get a picture!! :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

9. Medium

Medium Elite Member

I have heard they breed like crazy!! But only lay 2 to 3 eggs at a time. You also have to have a cooling period during mating. (Only read that though) So don't quote me. I would think you could divide the tank, though they will be a little more cramped.

I had some breeders try to get me to buy an extra Crested Gecko at an expo...I am glad I stuck to my guns. I did not want to end up with two boys or a mating couple!!

Good luck with your choices to make, don't beat yourself up over not knowing! It will work out how ever you choose.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t think there`ll be any probems in separating the tank, so good luck!

Although there might well be a problem when you say I`m only "mostly"??? worth it????? :( :eek:

11. Frognut

:p LOL!! I can give you the name of a good therapist... if it will help you manage... (but it will be a long commute!) :D Of course, then we could go to lunch - if you treat, I might up the 'mostly' part! **giggle**

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

OK, let me get this right, So Heebie is a Shebie and Jeebie is a Heebie. That gives me the Heebie Jeebies, Sorry I couldn't resist that one. :D
    Well lets hope that Jeebie will stay off of Heebie until you can get that tank divided. Hopefully Heebie isn't like my gecko laying eggs every two weeks, I guess they can hold that sperm for quite some time!!!:eek:
    Well good luck with all that Heebie Jeebie stuff.

13. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh seesh! He dropped a pair? Good grief! You should probably just leave them together and explain to Jeebie that girls have cooties, I remind my sons of that factoid everyday! I am sure it will work for you. You might want to check her calcium sacs just in case:cool:.

14. Frognut

Ok - so what does checking her calcium sacs do for me, and what/where/how do I do that???

15. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

In her mouth, rub the side of her face until she opens to lick or bite you. They are located on the upper interior lol. You know calcium is important for gravid females - I mean, for cresties with cooties.

16. Frognut

Oh cripes!!! :eek: :eek::eek:

--getting plywood tomorrow!

17. Frognut

18. Medium

Medium Elite Member

I know the feeling, I still have not looked back at my Crested Gecko's calcium sacks. Don't want to make him mad...LOL!

19. Panda

Panda Member

How about this you let them stay together and if they have babies I will pay for the shipping to get them to me and I will make sure they get good homes.

Needless to say if you must seperate them then do it, but think of it this way would you want to live alone your whole life? Or have another friend or mate with you.

You can say what you want but I would imagine lizards need interactions with other geckos. It's part of life.

20. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

It's never good when your animals suddenly sprout parts you thought they didn't have... ;) glad to hear you're getting it taken care of though.