This Disappears When Logged In

Possible Inbreeding

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Damnedheart, Sep 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Damnedheart

Damnedheart Member

So i just got my new aft the other day. She has an underbite and has a wobble to her walk and doesnt seem to be as smart as her roommate (she gets herself stuck between her hide and the walls of the enclosure). Curious if i should be concerned or if this is just something that we'll have to deal with.

Attached Files:

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You would think that the amount of times reptile off-spring are bred back to the parents this isn't more of a problem.
    However it's more of a myth with genetics that this happens. It's actually quite rare.
    If you think about it, how far would a reptile go to mate? Not very far. So really most reptiles are in-bred even in the wild.
    I have no doubt there's something wrong with your AFT. Not likely from in-breeding though.
    Afraid to say that any reptiles I've had that showed symptoms such as that, did not lead a very long life.
    It was Leopard geckos for me. They go downhill once they can't grab food.
    Striking but aim was off.

3. Damnedheart

Damnedheart Member

I have a bearded dragon that misses when he strikes but i help him eat so he seems to be okay. Is there anything i can do about my AFT? I've had her for a few days now and the wobble seems to have faded. Is it possible she just had a rough trip? (Since she was shipped to me)

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I don't believe there's much you can do. Increase pedialytes might help and some good nutrition.
    You're right it could just be from a rough trip. Likely dehydrated.