This Disappears When Logged In

Polyurethane Vs Polycrylic

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by ReptiGeek, Apr 2, 2014.

1. ReptiGeek

ReptiGeek Member

You saw the title, right? Good. I have Minwax fast drying polyurethane but not polycrylic. I need answers to these questions involving it's application on an enclosure.
    1.Have you used polyurethane(oil based) and/or polycrylic?
    2.How long did each take to cure for you?
    3.How long were the fumes around?
    4.Were there any problems after the animals were introduced?
    5.Which stood up to water better?
    Id rather not go out and buy Polycrylic since I already have polyurethane, but if it's DO or DIE, I will.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well, I've used both, so here's my take on it. Both are perfectly safe, eventually. I decided I wanted to try polyurethane, as it seemed like it would be more water resistant, which it is. The downside is the ridiculous cure time before it's safe to stick something it a closed environment coated with it. It held up the build on a boa cage by about 2 months while I waited for the smell to go away. I actually set up a CHE and a small fan to heat it a bit and hopefully speed the cure. Polycrylic on the other hand, I have been able to put into use within 48hrs, and once its had a week to cure gains a ton more water resistance, just not as much as the urethane. I personally won't use the polyurethane again unless I am building a cage WAY in advance of neeeding it. It'll probably be used for non animal projects. If I need a really water proof finish it will be epoxy based from now on.

3. ReptiGeek

ReptiGeek Member

Thanks that's very informative! How many coats of the polycrylic did you use/how big of a can was needed?
    My cage is 4x2x2, just as a reference.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

In both cases I used 3 coats, and formancage that size you won't use a quart. You'd have to check the can for coverage rates, but it tend to go a long ways for me. Example, I've done most or all of the interior of a 4x3x2, several glass tank plywood lids, and the doors tonthe afore mentioned boa cage and I still have some left.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I have used polyurethane and it took 4weeks to cure completely but once cured it had great water resistant qualities which was needed for my water dragon cage and I has very happy with it.
    I used 4coats if i remember correctly and it took a gallon and a quart for a cage that was 5x3x7.
    For my tortoise house I used fast drying polyurethane and it cured in just under two weeks.
    I havent had any issues with the animals once they started using the furniture.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Yeah, in the end it will depend on what your keeping and the time frame you have before you need the cage ready. If you've actually done your reasearch and are planning/building ahead of what you need, the polyurethane can be very useful. If you find yourself with an unexpected rescue or a shipment arrives a month sooner than you planned (Who me?) Then getting the cage together quickly might become very important. A few other options could be truck bed liner, like rhino liner, or the rubber roof coatings used on RVs. Haven't used any of these though so can't offer advice yet.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I used bed liner for the planters box in Tai's old cage and it held up well and cured fast but the smell while applying it was atrocious. If your going to use bedliner make sure to apply it outside and wear a mask!

Carmor has a cage that is entirely rhino lined and it seems like a very easy to clean setup.

8. ReptiGeek

ReptiGeek Member

What Ill probably end up doing is using the polyurethane for the outside of the cage and polycrylic for the inside since I would like to use the cages as soon as possible. Bed liner seems like an efficient way to go If I had the extra money. I might try that on a later cage. That and epoxy. Thanks for all the helpful thoughts, guys.