This Disappears When Logged In

Poisonous or Not

Discussion in 'Hognose Snakes' started by jaydsr2887, Feb 9, 2014.

1. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

something im a little confused on is the fact, are hog nosed snakes venomous or not, I read in some places that they are and some that they aren't, and some say they are rear fanged.... im just a little confused if someone can clear this up for me..... thx

2. lawrenceandlenny7

lawrenceandlenny7 Active Member

They're not they kill there prey with a method called wrapping, it's the same method corn snakes use

3. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

ok, cause I read in some places online that they are rear fanged and mildly poisonous and then some places that they arnt poisonous

4. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Hognose snakes are NOT constrictors.

They are mildly venomous but no fatal bites have ever been reported. They are rear fanged and their purpose for the fangs are to pop toads that inflate them self while being eaten.

Snakes are venomous not poisonous (other then a couple species)

5. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

ok.... thanx poison for clearing that up, they always say you learn something new everyday.....

6. lawrenceandlenny7

lawrenceandlenny7 Active Member

I didn't say they were constrictors wrapping is different

7. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

No it's not different. When a constrictor (such as a Corn Snake) eats a meal, it first constricts/suffocates/wraps around it's prey.

8. EriksExotics

Such as Garter Snakes (Thamnophis)

9. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Yup. Rear fanged venomous. You do need to be careful with them. A bite is generally not considered to be harmful to humans but some people have some really brutal reactions to the venom.

10. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah I read that a normal human will only feel a mild stinging pain and a minor bit of swelling but nothing more but there has been some cases of allergic reactions getting a little more sever

11. Poison

Poison Elite Member

A hognose swallows the prey alive. There is no constricting or gift wrapping involved :p.

12. Poison

Poison Elite Member

I believe it is only the eastern garter (Thamnophis sirtalis)? Don't think its all species of garters but I could be wrong. As well as the keeled back snakes (can't remember the exact species though)

13. EriksExotics

I believe you're correct.

- - - Updated - - -

I've read that Eastern Hognoses are the only ones that are venomous. Does anyone know if that's accurate?

14. Poison

Poison Elite Member

No its all species of hognose from the north american species to the Madagascar species.

15. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

wait are you saying that garter snakes are rear fanged as well?

16. EriksExotics

No. Some Garter snakes are poisonous. Meaning, if you were to eat a garter snake, you could be poisoned.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for clearing that up. It's an unfortunate example of how much misinformation you can find in snake articles, especially with how easy it is for anyone with a computer to make an article.

17. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

ok lol, I was going to say that is news to me haha