This Disappears When Logged In

Poisonous Food?

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by willk, Aug 21, 2009.

  1. willk

    willk Active Member

    Hi all
    I feed my froglets with mostly outdoors bugs, and there is a species very common in my hedges called "black-striped orange plant bug (lopedia media)". They are easy to catch and the froglets love them BUT these guys are black and orange, which supposes danger, poison, distastful, etc. No one's been sick, no one died, no one spits them out, they just love'em. Does anybody know this species of insect, or know if they use the colour to deter predators but are actually ok to eat?

    here's a picture of one, they are barelly a centimeter long.

    http://bugguide.net/images/raw/6HHR...RWHLREH9ZUH1ZEH1ZNHWZZLTH5H2ZKL1HXHTHHL8Z.jpg

    thanks!
     
  2. schlegelbagel

    schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

    I think the only poisonous bugs are lighting bugs.
     
  3. Merlin

    Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

    Bugs are bright colored for a variety of reasons, toxicity can be one of them. Most of the time the bugs that are a problem also are nasty tasting.
    However gathering insects from outside carries the very big risk of bringing in chemical toxins. And it may not kill all at once but rather accumulate slowly in the frogs system until it reaches toxic levels.
     
  4. willk

    willk Active Member

    Yeah I don't think that's a problem, no one uses chemicals around here. And anyways my froglets are wild caught so I prefer to give them what they would be eating if they were in the wild...
    but basically you think there's no problem with venom or such since these bugs seem to "taste" good?
     
  5. Dragonscalestudios

    Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

    If the bug itself is toxic, the frog would die fairly quickly. How long have you been feeding these bugs to the frogs?
     
  6. Merlin

    Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

    That doesn't mean that the insects have not traveled from a place where chemicals were used.

    And if they ate poisoned food in the wild they would die in the wild. That is no answer.
     
  7. schlegelbagel

    schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

    The problem is, we have now taken these frogs out of nature and it is up to us to keep them alive. Just because the food is wild caught, does not make it better. Keeping a frog in captivity can lower its tolerance to many things, and it may not be able to fight of chemicals and parasites that are found in wild caught bugs, simply because we cannot mimic their natural surroundings as well as nature can.

    Unless you are getting your bugs 20 miles inside a national park, there is no guarantee they haven't traveled from a place that does use chemicals.
     
  8. Dragonscalestudios

    Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

    Even then it is no guarantee, some insects can cover large distances.

    We all agree, feeding wild caught insects opens your frog up to many variables (chemicals, parasites, etc.) that may or may not harm it. Your best bet would be to feed your frog feeder insects, that are raised in a controlled environment and fed foods that are free of any harmful substances. Anything other than what I just suggested provides the opportunity for your frog to get sick or possibly die. I wouldn't take my chances.
     
  9. Dragoness

    Dragoness Elite Member

    You can also save some money by breeding your own bugs - there are care sheets on here that will help you get started with a number of species, and many of them are quite easy, and eat things you likely already keep around the house. My Superworms are thriving on colossal amounts of neglect right now.
     

Share This Page