This Disappears When Logged In

Please Help

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Kia, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Kia

Kia Member

I have 5 snakes, two of which I recently bought. I have a young rainbow boa that I thought was in shed as he looks very dull. I didn't think he could be dehydrated because his humidity is fine. He just didn't seem right or healthy to me and today I took a good look and he's covered in mites, I'm not sure how I didn't notice. I read online that mites can cause dehydration which could explain this poor condition. He's opening and closing his mouth as well today. I really don't want to lose him.. If he's dehydrated is there anything more I can do to help him rehydrate? My other 4 snakes all look healthy and have no signs of mites that I can tell. I have read different articles on getting rid of mites, but they all seem to say different things. What is the best way to get rid of them? I really want to make sure my other snakes are going to be okay and save this guy if possible. Any advice is appreciated

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

First of all, you need to isolate him from the rest of your animals. Put a strip or two of double sided sticky tape all the way around the outside of all of your enclosures, this should help keep most of them out.
    Next let's figure out the hydration problem, what is the current humidity and heat levels in the enclosure, and how are you measuring them?
    Please include pictures of your enclosure along with the description.
    Lastly the mite care. Everything in your enclosure will need to be thrown in the trash (and tightly sealed), or boiled/baked. Usually the best home treatment for mites are oil baths for your snake, most recommend cottonseed oil for this. The oil smothers the mites effectively. If your infestation is bad enough, you may need a reptile specific mite spray.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Additionally do tank see rvicing leaving the infested tank till last. The mites can travel on your skin or clothes.

When it comes to mites you are going to have to use a miticide. Just manual cleanup is not enough. All it takes is one survivor and it begins all over again. I recommend Reptile Spray by Natural Chemistry. It's safe enough to spray the tank as well as the enclosure. Use as directed.