This Disappears When Logged In

Please Help :)

Discussion in 'Childrens Pythons' started by Brendon, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Brendon

Brendon Member

Ok so I bought a stimpsons python just over 2 weeks ago it is still young and when I feed it I hold the thawed out velvet mouse above it and it feeds on them nicely but yesterday when I went to handle him he struck my finger and wrapped it and some of my hand up ... I fed him 4 days prior and I was told to feed him every 7 days so I fed him again ... My question is: would he be mistaking my hand for food as I hold the mice while he takes it from me? Should I be placing it in a feeding bowl of some kind? Thank you all for helping me out any info is good info :)

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Feed it every 5 to 7 days. Any more and it can be bad for your snake. Snakes see heat, example your finger. A snake is also a opportunity feeder meaning it will eat when the opportunity presents itself. It is also a young snake, and they tend to be more nippy than others. Curling around is how they kill the prey. It saw your finger and thought it was a meal. It happens.

3. Brendon

Brendon Member

Yeah I thought that ... Should I feed from a bowl or continue hand feeding ... No pun intended lol

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Hand feeding. If anything feed on a paper plate not a bowl. Or you could begin container feeding. Where you put them in a box or bin to feed.

5. Precia

Precia Active Member

Maybe a pair of tongs would work the best? That way the snake wouldn't associate your hand with the food.

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

first use tongs to feed the snake. Second if the animal struck and wrapped it's probably hungry. What size animals are you feeding and how large is the snake?

7. Brendon

Brendon Member

Ok so I'm feeding him velvet mice ( not sure if that is what they are called outside if Australia) he shed just the other day and from snout to vent he is 25 inches... Thanks I'll try with the tongs and I also noticed some really long tweezers at the local reptile centre that I might pick up :)

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Make sure that the ends of the tongs are rounded and not sharp.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, outside of Oz I think they`re called fuzzy mice. Can you put a few photos up of the snake and enclosure, and if you don`t mind, tell me where in Oz you are? I`m from Melbourne but been living over here in the U.K for some years (someone has to).... ;)
    Thanks!