This Disappears When Logged In

Please Help Urgent

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Leanne130, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Leanne130

Leanne130 Established Member

So I'm sure yous have seen the UK is being hit by a tail end of a hurricane and northern Ireland is to get 60mph winds.. I am worried about shakira.. it is pretty cold and if there is a powercut witch there will Be! What will I do? I don't know what to do please help!!!! I'm working tomorrow and she is due to be fed tonight! I know not to feed her as she needs heat to digest but is there any way I can keep her warm?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Have the electricity board informed you the power will definitely be off, 60mph winds are strong but not "hurricane" force?

Leanne130 likes this.
  3. Leanne130

Okay well I will get the screen shots there is red and Amber warnings

4. Leanne130

Screenshot_20171015-234313.png Screenshot_20171015-234345.png

Attached Files:

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

For some reason I keep thinking you have a Ball python, it`s a garter snake and they are subjected to some extremely cold conditions in the wild, I would seriously think that even without heating the snake should be fine even if the power cut lasted a day or two, obviously you want to keep the tank in the warmest room, you can also cover it with a blanket/similar.
    Just a thought; I hope you can manage to get through the day if your mobile phone goes off, too??? ;)

Leanne130 likes this.
  6. Leanne130

She's a corn

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I spell corn "garter"... Seriously, I think she`ll be fine... I hope you will be, too...

Leanne130 likes this.
  8. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Definitely skip the feeding if there's a chance you'll lose power. If things get desperate you can always put hot water in a bottle and wrap that in a towel. A day or two and the snake will be fine.

Leanne130 likes this.
  9. Spiff9391

Spiff9391 New Member

I agree with the water idea and I live where corn snakes are wild we call them rat snakes and we get snow they just borrow down and sleep so hopefully it all works out I'm sure he will be fine sorry if this is late

Leanne130 likes this.
  10. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Room temperature will be fine for her for a little while. Don't worry.

Leanne130 likes this.
  11. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Unless it is really frigid, in which case I wrap hand warmers up in a towel and put it in there.

12. Leanne130

thank you! I'll try to be and I don't care about menu just want wee shakira to be Okay!

13. Leanne130

Didn't feed her and do I use boiling water? or just really warm from the tap?

14. Leanne130

no you are okay I have got a couple hours before the storm hits.. just worried! thanks for your help!

15. Leanne130

Thanks so much! hopefully she will be Okay!

16. Leanne130

Screenshot_20171016-094534.png Screenshot_20171016-094603.png just great moved to 12 and I'm in work!

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Relax! Corns are not a tropical species. They are much more tolerant of cool temperatures.
    And you want the water bottle just hot from the tap, NOT boiling.
    What are your expected outside temperatures?

Leanne130 likes this.
  18. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

So how was the hurricane? Hope all went well and your snake came through fine, and you too!
    Coming from the Caribbean, where hurricanes are a regular issue, I can understand your anxiety over Ophelia. Very unusual for one to have got to you way up there in Northern Ireland!
    It's been a heck of a hurricane season - I hope it's done.

Leanne130 likes this.
  19. Leanne130

thank you so much for asking! And yeah it was crazy.. trees and all falling places weres flooded and streets were blocked. shops were all shut by 12! it was crazy, 3 people died.. people were evacuated from there houses, I didn't leave my house; shakira is fine thank goodness! we have another storm here this weekend. storm Brian and I'm not looking forward to it! It's meant to be really bad.. worse than Ophelia.. thank you so much for asking it means a lot

TamJam likes this.
  20. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Wow. Glad you are OK through all that! Never underestimate the power of nature, we in the Caribbean know that for sure. This year 3 hit the USA hard, including Puerto Rico where 51 people died, according to the latest count. They (USA) got Harvey, Irma and Maria. Monster storms.
    Stick around! This is a great site.