This Disappears When Logged In

Please Help!! Transferring A Leopard Geko To Different Hide!!

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Lilac Gorg, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Lilac Gorg

Lilac Gorg New Member

I got a new leopard gecko (though my first reptile, I have done plenty of research on it) about a week and a half ago and she does not like to ever come out of her hide. She is very young and scared of everything. I know they are nocturnal, but I feed very early in the morning and attempt to handle (get her used to my hand) at night. I went to petsmart and of course I bought all the wrong things. I decided I like a heat pad better than lamp, but she won’t leave her current hide. Her current hide is a multilevel plastic(?) fake log/moss from Petsmart. I am attempting to move her into a log so she can get warmth from the ground. She never comes out and the Petsmart people said to put both in the cage and let her decide, but I really want to use a heat pad due to the health risks of the lamps. Please help!!! What should I do to transfer her!!!

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

First off, stop handling it until it has had time to get used to it's surrounding and is eating well. Second, do you have a thermostat for the heat pad? Despite what you may have been told, they do require one as they will often get to unsafe temperatures if left unregulated. Not sure what risks your referring to with a bulb, but as long as you are checking the hotspot temps there shouldn't be an issue.

3. Lilac Gorg

Lilac Gorg New Member

It has been two weeks and I have left her alone. I am pretty sure she is starting to shed (she has a moist moss hide) because of the dull in her color when I see her rarely come out. She comes out even less, but I think it’s due to shedding. I have a heat pad (I check the temperature often it is safe) and a UVB/A bulb for lighting. I read that the light can damage their eyes, and mine was overheating so I made the switch. She is eating well, as when I leave her alone for about fifteen minutes (I started to feed at night and she won’t come out if you watch her) all the crickets are gone. I’m not sure if she is still just shy, but I do have to hand feed her mealworms with tongs. Currently, like I said earlier, she is rarely eating and barely comes out, but I think it’s due to shedding.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Shedding will alter their behaviour somewhat, as they often want to spend a lot of time in the moist hide, and it might affect the appetite as well. As for the taming, be patient. Food is your best tool, and some individuals will take more patience than others.

5. Lilac Gorg

Lilac Gorg New Member

Okay thank you! I’m going to leave her alone for maybe two more weeks totally and go from there.