This Disappears When Logged In

Please Help, Rescuing Two Green Iguanas But Appear Sick

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Corey D Greening, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Hello, before I ask my questions I am planning on getting them into the vet as soon as possible but I would love any advice on to what I can do to help hem until I get them seen. One is a 7 year old male green iguana, appears to have a sore on his lip. The other is 13 year old female appearing bloated and skinny in the hind legs and her tail. She also has a dark spot on her side. Previous owner said she used to eat everything and anything but now has to be hand fed fruit only. Please help me help these guys :) thank you

20180627_173201.jpg 20180627_173139.jpg 20180627_173148.jpg 20180627_173244.jpg 20180627_173252.jpg 20180627_173301.jpg 20180627_173321.jpg 20180627_173324.jpg

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I can see the lips don`t meet at one part but it doesn`t look like a sore/injury. The female actually looks gravid (I may be wrong)?
    Can you give details of the enclosures and conditions you`re currently keeping them in?

3. I was wondering about that as well, the owner said she's been like that for months. I'm not sure about the enclosures the owners had them in. I will be temporarily be keeping them in the current enclosures I hAve un til we get the new ones built

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you show the whole enclosures and give details of the conditions? If the female has been in that condition for months a vet visit is urgent.

5. I'll have the owner send me pictures of them in the enclosures and post them soon as I can. Im worried about the female, anything I can do for the males mouth they said the spot crusts over at times and scabs up.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the cages were too small it's likely to have be noserubbing.
    I agree that the female looks gravid. At egging time they will stop eating.there is no room for food with all those eggs. But if she has been like that for months it's vet time. She may be eggbound and unable to lay. A nd that's extremely serious. And it commonly occurs with its in too small of cages. Many people overlook just how much space they need.

7. Here are their enclosures, they have an elder female that they claim cannot climb very well and is a rescue as well. She has eye problems and doesn't do well climbing so that's why she's in a more horizontal enclosure. I would like to get them into a better situation but need to know exactly what I'm getting into first. I want to help them and I am willing to do what it takes to help I just need to know what that is :) thank you everyone for all of your help.

8. Here are the enclosures they're currently in. They said the only problem they're experiencing with the female enclosure is she keeps pulling the light cord down.
    20180630_101943.jpg 20180630_101946.jpg 20180630_102022.jpg 20180630_102041.jpg 20180630_101910.jpg 20180630_101914.jpg 20180630_101921.jpg

Attached Files:

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos, neither of the enclosures are large enough and apart from that, the wire mesh "window" at the back in the female`s tank will make it almost impossible to stabilise both temps and humidity which has bound to have had a detrimental effect on it`s health.
    The cost of treatment for the female may be very expensive, are you willing to provide that plus build two new enclosures?
    The current heat/light bulb is not sufficient to evenly heat at least the snout to vent length in the case of both animals, again that may also have adversely affected their health, there are far more efficient "basking bulbs" available (I will give details if you`re interested).

10. Yes I am interested and willing to do all of this I just need to know how to do everything properly

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Until the animals have had a vet visit it`s difficult to offer much advise on anything because at least in the female`s case she might not survive.
    That aside, are you experienced enough to build the enclosure/s and do you know the conditions they require?