This Disappears When Logged In

Please Help Its About My Beardy!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by HLD, May 21, 2018.

1. HLD

HLD Member

Im new here and also my english can be really bad...
    Its about my beardie (yeare maybe 7 years )we got it from someone, he needed to move out and need to give the beardy away. My beardy didnt eat much and sometimes we need to feed him...today i put him outside because its sunny and about 25°C (by the owner before, he was always all the time outside in summer, even in the nights) and after abot 10 min i came to see him and he was dead but I manage to Save him....but his back legs are now paralyzed (before were no such problems) and its been now about 20 min. and his legs are still like that even his tail is hard as rock...he pooped yesterday. I gave him a warm bath but nothing, hes weak and i cant bring him to Vet its about half an hour away from us and i cant drive...Please someone help!!...:(what should i do???

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Part of your problem is it's too cold. The beardy needs a warm up area of 43.3 to 46 degrees. When they are cool they can't digest their food properly. What are you feeding it? Too large of food can result in back leg paralysis.

3. HLD

HLD Member

Well we have celsius and 25 should be more then enough...he is mostly eating squisched fruits or vegetables sometimes he likes to eat live Superworms and dried (cooked)mealworms. He doesn't eat anything that's bigger that Superworms...
    But now he's trying to stand up and his back isnt responsining and hes also making these "barking" sounds...

4. HLD

HLD Member

You are right about the 40 to max 55°C but when outside is about 29°C he is searching for a colder place in shadows. I have also noticed that he isnt going in the sunny places even in our big terra. In our terrarium we have another female and she ist eating well and is healthy and she also isnt going in light wheres warmer, there is about 28°C in light.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am quite aware that you are talking in Celsius. If it was Fahrenheit the Dragon would be dead! I am telling you that 25c is too cool!
    How are you measuring these temperatures?

6. HLD

HLD Member

Im measuring with an reptile Thermometer...but, my houl question was what more what to do, not why did that happen...he died yesterday afther my parents came home. He's cramps where slowly getting away, because my mom was trying to slowly massage it...but I believe because of the pain and shock he didn't make it. But still thank you that you replayed.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you put a few photographs up of the whole enclosure and the Bearded dragon?

8. HLD

HLD Member

That ist our Terra. And that's the female beardie who's now alone. We were discussing that maybe we could at the sommer put sand in and in the winter news papers...but now afther the loss it could be few more weeks without sand.Sand gets a bit faster warm and stays also a bit longer warm. In the winter in our home is between 20-25°C so we don't use the lamp so much.
    We tested that the lamp that produces warm needs to be changed so we did that, there should be now around 30°C-35°C in hotter spot. The female was and still is eating well.

Attached Files:

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photo. Can I ask which country you live in?

10. HLD

HLD Member

Well, i (we) live in Germany. I am more Close to English then German and there were no sites where I could ask for help and that's why I asked here.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I only asked which country you were in because I thought the climate may be normally very warm but obviously where you live it is also very cold sometimes! ;)
    How are you measuring the ambient (air) temperature and the surface temperature on the basking object, and also the humidity range?
    I would also like to ask the size of the enclosure (length, width and height) and the type and wattage of the heat bulb and brand name of the UVB tube?
    I think newspaper is a very poor covering, providing the conditions are within the recommended ranges, a substrate of playsand or topsoil/playsand mix will allow more natural behaviours such as digging/burrowing.
    Can you show a photo of the whole enclosure including a view of the top?

12. HLD

HLD Member

Sorry for late answer. I measure the humidity and temperature with reptile Thermometers. All the lamps and things that are needet for reptiles I buy from "Lucky Reptile". The mesurment of the Day light lamp could be about 170cm.
    Terrarium is 2m long high and depth is 60cm. The humidity is now about 30-35%.
    The heat lamp(?) has 60 or 70Watt.
    Photo I will post later, but maybe you can see a little bit of the lamp in previous picture.

13. HLD

HLD Member

Here is a sketch of my Terra.

Attached Files:

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I really need to see more photos if that is possible, I think there are some adjustments to be made (minor but important).

15. HLD

HLD Member

What about this Terra? Before there were 2 Beardies but now there is only one. Maybe a smaller 120×70×70cm would be a bit better? It would get warmer faster. The top I can't fotograph. There will be sand inside. Daylight lamp is only thing that is needet.

Attached Files:

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The smallest size enclosure I would recommend for one adult Bearded dragon would be approximately 150L x 70W x 75H (cm). I cannot see the enclosure very clearly although it seems as if the UVB tube is near the back wall, it should be in the center and quite close to the basking heat bulb so the dragon gets the benefit of both at the same time. I recommend a substrate of topsoil (no chemicals) mixed with some playsand approximately 10 to 15cm deep.