This Disappears When Logged In

Please Help - Centipedes

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Buggy0123, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I'm not sure if this is really the place to put this, but I need major help. I am absolutely terrified of the house centipede- I know this is stupid and I've tried getting over it many times. I've just been terrified of them as long as I can remember. I'm okay with any other bug or rodent: spider, mouse, I'll even squish a roach- bring it on! But I can't even get near these guys without having a panic attack. Being as winter is coming to a close and spring is around the corner, I saw the first centipede- where? You guessed it, my reptile room. It was sitting right next to my cricket bin, I thought it was a cricket escapee, but when I launched for it I realized crickets don't have that many legs and instantly realized what it was and broke down into tears and began shaking like dog. Anyways the point is I wanted to put drione or some other kind of pesticide or trap in the room and my main concern is my animals. If any of them were to get out, would it bother them? Also if any of my other animals happened to come across them, would it hurt them? I just need a way to get the things out, please help. Thanks.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Wow, sorry to hear this is such a problem for you. Wish I could offer some more constructive advice, but all I really have is this: any pesticides are usually much more toxic to our pets than they are to the bugs they were meant for. Had a friend have his large Burmese die after he let it free roam for a while in his apartment, which had been treated a week before for roaches. You might be able to spray the floor with a diluted permethrin solution and keep the little nasties out, but you will need to destroy any escaped feeders if you do. I use this when I'm treating for snake mites, so it might be effective on the centipedes. There is also a product called reptile relief, that is also used for mites, that is even safer than the stuff I use, but I haven't tried it yet. Heard good things from others though.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There are non toxic sticky traps for insects that you can just put down in the area where you see the bugs. It is just glue. In the event of one of your animals getting out and stuck to it you can remove it with mineral oil.

Qwerty3159 and Darkbird like this.
  4. Buggy0123

Thanks a lot guys, it's really appreciated. I'll look into some sticky traps.

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Try keeping the room itself free from escaped crickets, too. House centipedes eat other insects.
    I hope it works for you.

6. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

It's interesting how differently people feel about these creatures lol. I tried keeping one as a pet a few months ago. It disappeared. I still have no clue if it is roaming my room at night... :rolleyes:

7. Buggy0123

Haha, good luck finding him. :')