This Disappears When Logged In

Platysaurus

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by dc67ride, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dc67ride

dc67ride Member

Hi,

I'm searching some owner or breeders of Platysaurus.
    I want to share experience.
    Is this Lizard popular in the USA.

Thanks for the advice

sorry my English is not the best.:eek:
    I'm from Germany

2. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Welcome :)
    I didn't know what that reptile was (had to look it up) but I come from a state where a limited amount of species are legal to own. So I won't be much help there. From the pictures, the lizard is very beautiful though.

3. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I googled it myself and they are very beautiful. I don't remember seeing those.

4. dc67ride

dc67ride Member

Hi,
    This Lizard has no protection like ( cites ). I think it's legal to own This animal in the USA.
    The reason why I'm asking is, the FLat lizard ( engl.appellation )
    is not so popular in Germany.
    I indended that somebody have this lizard or breed this.
    thanks to reply quickly

5. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Each of the states has its own set of rules or laws regarding what is legal or illegal to keep/breed. Do you have any of these? Please share pictures if you do!

6. dc67ride

dc67ride Member

7. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

they are really neat, I too had to google them, do you have a video of them on youtube? the setting looks the same as yours. great looking !

8. dc67ride

dc67ride Member

Hi,

I got no video on youtube.

9. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

hi,
    I did know what those lizards where but one question are they a species of agama

10. Orca

Orca Elite Member

They are neat looking. How long have you had them?

11. dc67ride

dc67ride Member

Hi,
    the species is Cordylus.
    I have the lizard 1/2 year.

12. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

like the armadilloo lizard

13. dc67ride

dc67ride Member

Hi,
    The cordylus and Platysaurus are cognate.

14. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Platysaurus - Flat lizards are from my country!:D

I can give you some information about them.

They are bizarre creatures and also the most beautiful lizards of all. The legs and tail are well developed and often have scattered spiny scales.The eyes are also well developed and the eardrums are visible. Femoral pores occur in both sexes; large in males and as small pits in females.

Their flattened shape permits them to squeeze under thin rock flakes where they are safe from predators. Up to 12 individuals may squeeze into the same crack, although it is unusual to find adult males together during the breeding season. They are restricted to certain types of rock( example granite, gneiss and some sandstones) and are therefore found in isolated populations. They are very sociable and form dense colonies.

They are most vivid on the belly, where their intensity of color is hidden from predators. Females and juveniles have black backs, usually attractively marked with three pale, longitudinal, dorsal stripes. Males grow slightly larger than females.

In confrontations, males circle each other and expose their brightly colored bellies by tilting sideways. In courtship, males present head-on to females, raising the head and fore body on straightened forelimbs, revealing the bright coloration of the throat and chest.

They mature at the end of their second or third year. Unlike other cordylids, they are oviparous and lay only two eggs, usually in November-December. The eggs are large, elongate (7-10 x 17-22mm) and soft-shelled and are laid in deep cracks, usually in damp leaf mould. Numerous females may nest in the same crack, where as many as 30 eggs may be laid.

Most platys feed on small invertebrates (flies, beetles and larvae), although some also eat plant material like flower petals, young leaves, fruit and seeds.

They are relatively long-lived and have lived for longer than 14 years in captivity. When attacked by a snake, they may form a ring by holding their tail in the mouth to prevent being swallowed.:D (I've seen this)

If you can give me the full scientific name then I can give you even more information.;)

15. dc67ride

dc67ride Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the informations,
    I got 1.2 P. Intermedius an 1.0 P. jansonii.
    I have find less infos in www about Platysaurus.
    My another problem is I don't understand all, my english isn't the best.
    But I try my best.

16. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Can you make sure about the P.jansonii - I have never heard of it.;)

I know the following species, maybe it can help you to find 'jansonii's correct name:

Cape Flat Lizard - P. Capensis
    Broadley's F.L. - P. broadleyi
    Sekukhune F.L - P. orientalis
    Dwarf F.L. - P. guttatus
    Waterberg F. L. - P. minor
    Emperor F.L. - P. imperator
    Common F.L. - P. intermedius
    Orange-throated F.L. - P. Monotropis
    Ocellated F.L. - P. ocellatus
    Pungwe F.L. - P. pungweensis
    Lebombo F.L. - P. lebomboensis
    Soutpansberg F.L.- P. relictus
    Striped F.L. - P. torquatus
    P.o. fitzsimonsi

The Common F.L. - P. intermedius

A medium to large platy with opaque lower eyelids, each divided into a series of vertical septa. There are 12-28 femoral pores in males. Females and juveniles are black, with three buff stripes that sometimes have light spots between them. The belly is brownish in the center and white at the edges. Adult males have varied coloration.

It is the most widely distributed and common platy. It lives under exfoliating rock flakes and may form dense colonies. Exfoliating rocks are found in arid savannah and in hot dry desert climates and on sheets of rock that are jointed parallel to the surface, such as granite, sandstone and quartzite.

They lay 2 eggs in November - December in groups (communal) egg sites in a sun-warmed, soil-filled rock cracks.

There are another 9 subspecies of the intermedius all with different colors and form. You will have to give me clear pictures if you want the exact subspecies.;)

I am not English either - the members will gladly explain words that you can not find the translation for.

17. dc67ride

dc67ride Member

18. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I looked at your link and googled 'bunte Plattgürtelechse'. I found this:
    Sauria: Herpetology

It seems like the English would be Bunte Plattechse (Platysaurus intermedius).

If you can take close-up photos of the top, side and bottom then I will try and identify them for you. No promises thou.;)

19. dc67ride

dc67ride Member

20. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I did look at those pictures but they are too far away to make out clearly.

How are yours doing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.