This Disappears When Logged In

Plant Light Same As Uv Light?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Absofbeer, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

Or maybe Middle level and then Lowest landing?
    With the single T5 up top

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I would attach the T5 UVB HO tube at the top with a basking bulb fairly close to it so the lizard gets both heat and UVB at the same time.
    I think the Arcadia T5`s are effective up to around 2 feet (you can also fit a reflector).
    You can certainly use a second heat bulb lower down as a 2nd basking spot but you`ll need to make sure you don`t overheat the enclosure, try a 40w halogen par 30 or 38 (flood beam, and you must use a ceramic socket).

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Stefan I think that there is some confusion. Not all Mercury vapor bulbs emit UVB. Only those specifically designed to do so.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry, I was only talking about the MVB`s in the link you showed and the examples I`d shown earlier (reptile specific).

5. Merlin

Oh I knew that you knew what you meant but the back and forth got a little confusing.

6. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

what should I get for that?

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m not sure what you mean when you ask what you should get for that?
    If you fit a reflector to the T5 tube it will increase the UVB and the effective distance.

8. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

Gotcha ya, this is my 1st reptile that requires special lighting. All I have now is a Ball Python and a Rose Haired Tarantula

Will the lamp portion come with the reflector? I assume the light bulb won't.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2015
  9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

No, you need to buy the T5 tube housing, the T5 UVB tube then the reflector.
    These tubes can last 12 months as opposed to around 6 months for a T8 fluorescent UVB tube so I think it`s a good deal (obviously the reflector and housing will last indefinitely).

I would suggest a 4 feet long batten (the tube housing) and tube in your enclosure (then it will cover 2/3rds the length).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2015
  10. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

Ok, so I installed 2 Zilla Slimline desert fixture lights. They are Desert 50 UVB T8 fluorescent . I put one at the top and one half way under the left landing. (see older post for Pic of landing location)
    Now that I type this I wonder about the (Desert) fixture? Whats that mean?
    I have 2 Zilla basking day/night combo 75 watt sets. I figured I have a backup pair.
    Hows this for CWD and plants?

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

From what I hear the "Zilla" brand are not that good (I personally have never used them).
    I did mention a couple of very reliable brands earlier in the thread. Can you put a few photos up of the enclosure and lighting as it is now?
    Here`s a link that may clarify things for you..
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjMtOGQ89HJAhWH1hQKHfmWDocQFggfMAA&url=http://www.uvguide.co.uk/&usg=AFQjCNHAGElQ8tE3waCnZztrbzOvyN5dUg&sig2=Xn5TXdrjJHNnnyQAGyh0eA&bvm=bv.109395566,d.bGQ

12. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

13. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

Very bottom of this pic is the watering hole

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The UVB tubes need to be quite close to the basking heat bulbs so that the lizard will get both heat and UVB at the same time.
    I must say again that the Zilla brand UVB tubes are not very good at all from what quite a few people have said (that`s one reason they are relatively cheap in comparison).
    The most efficient basking heat bulbs are the relatively low wattage halogens as I mentioned earlier in the thread.
    As far as lighting for live plants, a UVB 2-0 fluorescent tube is fine.

15. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

I bought the Zilla online so I'm using them. I'll replace when they burn up or whatever

16. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

Also why does the lizard need both UVB and heat at the same time? If it's cold it can bask and as it moves about the viv it gets the UVB

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

No disrespect, but you asked for advise on heating and lighting, I gave details of examples I`ve personally used and found to be very efficient, in both cases you`ve decided to ignore the types I recommended (which is your right), and decided to go for the cheapest rather than the better quality (most suitable for the animal`s needs).
    "Making do" really isn`t the way to go about it at all, it`s quite likely the animal will suffer to some degree which is what we should try and avoid at all costs....

18. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

No disrespect either but you have never used any of the products I have chosen. You've simply went by what others have said and made the determination that whatever you use is the best there is and the Very best for the animal.
    Thanks for the advice

19. Merlin

Because you are not thinking the way things would be done in the lizard's world. Sunlight equals heat AND UVB in the same place. By separating the two you are forcing the lizard to choose between UVB and warmth. And as you are being told, a florescent tube needs to be within a few inches for the animal to receive any useable UVB. The UVB content does not travel as far as the visible light and at even a foot away it would be getting very little UVB. In the configuration the photo shows your dragon will be too far away from the UVB bulb to be getting anything.

And one does not have to keep a specific species or to use a specific product to be aware of a product having a poor reputation. There are a lot of products in the pet world that are completely useless.

20. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

I did move the one UVB from the right side to the basking area on the left. Still it is about a lot higher than a few inches, 20" to be exact. So you're saying I should move it down within a few inches of the landing? What keeps the lizard from touching it when it's that close? If you put the basking and uvb so close to one another how do you keep it from melting or over heating?