This Disappears When Logged In

Plant Light Same As Uv Light?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Absofbeer, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Kolby Tannehill

Kolby Tannehill Well-Known Member

I wish the card gave my great detail in any way, also you should have said before there was study done. If the 2 brand you listed were show better results then I will check the out and would also suggest them for the water dragon enclosure.
    Also I know you are not trying to criticizes, we all care about reptile hear and you are just making sure they get the best care that they can.

2. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

75 shouldn't be a problem at night and I don't think 80's should be a prob in the daytime. It's 74 in here right now and only 16 degrees outside.

Opinions on this bulb, looks to be the standard E26 base
    Philips H38MP-100DX 100w A23 3700K Cool White Mercury Vapor HG HID Light Bulb

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2015
  3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

To be honest, with all the "snake oil" products I seen in the pet industry, I would be VERY leery of this UVB card. Sounds just a little far fetched.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I would not use that bulb for supplementary lighting, I would go with a "normal" household fluorescent T8 tube (approx 6,500k which is close to daylight).
    Have you decided what type of basking and UVB lights you want?

Looking at an earlier post of yours, you mention making a fake rock wall, to my mind the enclosure is already too narrow at only 2 feet, so if the "rockery" stuck out more than a couple of inches it will leave even less space (I understand the lizard would be able to climb on it), but an adult male can get to around 3 ft long, even if much of that is tail.

To make it a little easier, you basically need to know 2 temps, the lowest ambient @ approx 24c (75f), then the surface temp of the basking object @ approx 32 to 35c (90 to 95f)...

5. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

I thought this bulb gives off UV? They're the Mercury Vapor Filled like you spoke of. I took it as all MVF bulb produce UV lighting?

Also I guess I'm not dead set on a Chinese Water Dragon.. What else could I house in an enclosure the size I'm building? I do like the dragons though.

Here's what I've found so far. Hate to be cheap but I'm looking for a bargain so I can maybe do another enclosure soon.
    Amazon.com : Reptispa UV Sun Lamp 100 Watts - UVB & UVA Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Lamp : Pet Supplies

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ve never heard of or used the product so can`t give an objective opinion on it`s efficiency.
    I can try and link you to a couple of decent UVB emitting bulbs/tubes if you`re interested?

No, just because it`s a mercury vapour bulb doesn`t mean it emits UVB (to answer the previous post).

Would it be possible to make it 2.5 to 3 feet wide or is it already put together?

7. Kolby Tannehill

The mvb that have uvb will say so on the pack, if you are ordering online they will for sure put it in the description.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

9. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

12294621_10156231853855357_2929536923517082767_n.jpg It's 6' tall 4' wide and 2' deep

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, but is it already put together, as in you cannot change the dimensions (to make it wider)?
    I can`t see any image.

11. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

12. Kolby Tannehill

Since the front is not on yet I would extend the sides to make it wide as @murrindindi suggest.

I would also use linoleum and a no toxic sealant to water proof it, that way the wood will not rot over time.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, I mentioned that I haven`t heard of or used that particular brand, it looks quite cheap in comparison the types I linked to and you normally get what you pay for. I have used the Arcadia bulb and tube and they are excellent.
    I can now see the enclosure, it looks fine and I think it would be possible to make it wider if you`re willing to do that.

14. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

I might add some to the front to make it deeper. I want it to be right for the CWD.

15. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

I can't get Arcadia bulbs from the US, they're all in the UK and one bulb will cost me about $70 delievered. I'm gonna have to go with the cheaper bulbs

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

As far as I`m aware the Arcadia bulbs are available in America, yes they may be more expensive than the type you linked to, but at the end of the day it should be about what`s best for the animal (that`s not a criticism of you, just a fact). They only do as well as the captive conditions allow.

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

18. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The T5 fluorescent tubes emit mainly UVB/A and only a limited amount of heat so are not suitable as "basking heat" bulbs. If using this type its recommended they are approx 2/3rds the length of the enclosure. You would need a separate basking (heat) bulb such as a halogen (flood beam), these can be fitted with a dimmer switch which makes adjusting the surface temp much easier, or obviously you can raise/lower the bulb/s or basking object. I would personally recommend this option.
    This is an example of the halogen bulbs I`m currently using, its best to choose either par 30 or par 38 (the "par" refers to the bulb face diameter).

The mercury vapour bulbs do emit heat as well as UVB/A, most of them have a minimum distance from the face of the bulb to the closest surface of the animal when basking under them, that`s usually around 30cm (12inches).

Attached Files:

20. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

So you've seen my enclosure. Would you recommend a single T5 bulb at the very top and a basking lamp on say the highest perch/landing and then again another basking lamp on the middle level?