This Disappears When Logged In

Plant Light Same As Uv Light?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Absofbeer, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

Just as the title says . Will a Plant light from Walmart provide UV rays to a Chinese Water Dragon? Starting an vivarium and need the facts.
    Thanks, Bill

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No. Gro-lights are nothing more than colored bulbs.
    UVB generating lights are specifically designed for that one feature.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

What Merlin said. This is the one area we really have to go through the reptile industry to get supplies for. It's not even just about UV, but about having a useful spectrum of UV. Everything else, like basking lights and general ambient cage lighting, can be had just as well or better at the hardware store, and usually for a lot cheaper.

4. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

Thanks, I saved my receipt..Haha

Looking into Water Dragons, I'm building a 6' tall x 4' wide x 2' deep Vivarium for one or two dragons. I have two landings built with logs/sticks to climb up too. I will sterilize these soon. I plan on a 3rd but how close or far away should I stay from my lamps?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
  5. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

I'm growing plants in my room right now as it's pretty cold. I can use just a normal bulb??

6. Kolby Tannehill

Kolby Tannehill Well-Known Member

I would suggest getting a mercury vapor bulb for an enclosure that size. It provides heat, uva, and uvb.

7. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

How many watts do you think I'll need? More than one bulb?

Maybe one bulb half way up and another at the top?

8. Kolby Tannehill

It would be based on how close he can get to the bulb. My friend uses a 100 watt for his and it can get to a bout a foot and a half away form it. it will move to where it likes, as it heats and cools it body. To get the rest of the tank to about 85 though I would put another kind of heat as will. If you ran heat rope or tape in the sides you could set a stat for the temp to get to 85 or so. Just make sure it can not come in direct contact with the heat tape.

The 2 bulb that way could work , you just have to make sure he/she can not get so close to ether of them that it could burn he/she.

@ of them may make it hard to keep humidity up though.

9. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

My vivarium is wood and I made it with 1/4" plywood with a 2x4 flat then another 1/4" piece of plywood. The 2x4's are a frame and I ran insulation between the plywood where there wasn't any framing. If you follow me?
    Should be fairly easy to heat.

for humidity I have a large tupperware and a fish tank pump to run into the filled tupperware to aerate the water

So as long as the bulb is hanging there shouldn't be a problem if it's say a foot away from the CWD

10. Kolby Tannehill

Yeah I would use the 2 bulb if your cage it set up to better be done that way, I would go a foot and a half though just to be on the safe side.

As far as the heat tape goes I have seen a lot of people put it under a layer of linoleum for snakes, Im sure you could us it the same to run on the sides of your enclosure. It may also help hold more humidity if you seal it right. I would ether way suggest sealing the whole in side of the enclosure with it and a non toxic sealant. With just plywood it will rot over time. Just rember to get the sealant a week or so to fully cure. They say non toxic but I wouldn't trust them.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I would say the enclosure will be too small for more than one adult dragon. What are the usual ambient temps in the room throughout the year, day and night?

Hi, which brand of MVB bulb would you recommend as their efficiency varies to some degree?

12. Kolby Tannehill

I would say to spend the extra and get zoo med.

They call theirs the power sun.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2015
  13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ve used Powersun MVB`s for many years, both at home (Australia) and here in the U.K where I`m now living. I found the UVB emittion to be very close to the manufactures claims, however I have it on good authority that the American version is not so efficient, possibly because of the different voltage (it`s 240v in Oz and the U.K, only 120v in the States).
    I would actually recommend either an "Arcadia" or "Mega Ray" as far as MVB`s are concerned. Otherwise an Arcadia T5 HO (high output) fluorescent UVB tube, then use heat bulbs at the basking site.
    In order to check the UVB levels it`s necessary to use a Solar meter.

14. Kolby Tannehill

There is a card that you can buy at some pet store to check how high the uvb is in the bulb. It is called a uv sensor. I use national greographic brand it takes the uvb as well.

15. Absofbeer

Absofbeer Member

The more I've read the more I'm leaning towards just one CWD.. I don't want them to rub their faces off.. So I'll just get one.
    My room is usually 72-75 year round. Like I said I insulated the vivarium so heating shouldn't be an issue

Oh I plan on sealing the inside and also the outside of the enclosure. I was thinking after I seal the inside I might try to do the Great Stuff rocks walls. I also plan to have live plants in there too. I've read that Philodendron , Dracaena, and Staghorn Ferns are OK to have with a CWD.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you are talking about fluorescent tubes, your best bet is one cool white and one warm white.

17. Kolby Tannehill

The rock wall could be done with a non toxic foam if you are good at carving and painting it. As far as the plants go any tropical plant of high water demanding plant will work and long as they are non toxic plants. I would just also take in how fast the plant grows and how much maintenance you are willing to do on the plants in there.

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`d never heard of these until now, which MVB`s have you actually tested and can you give the results? Thanks!

That being the case you may only need a basking bulb (or 2 depending on type) and a UVB emitting fluorescent tube, or you can go with an MVB and perhaps a daylight tube for supplementary lighting if needed.
    The nighttime ambient temp shouldn't be lower than around 24c (75f).

Hi, a 2-0 UVB fluorescent tube is good for plants.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2015
    Kolby Tannehill likes this.
  19. Kolby Tannehill

The only one I have texted is the powersun and it text with the highest uv the card goes to. It does not give you as in depth results as a uv meter. But it will tell you if the uv out put is high mid or low. Also after the 6 month mark where most uv bulb have went to mid or low it was still testing high. This is actually a test I did with my uv bulb that I used and the powersun that my friend uses. He has had that bulb about 8 month now and I am switching my bulbs to it in January after seeing the results. I was also skeptical of the powersun when he was saying it was the best you could get, so we put it to the test. I test it each month for 6 month as it test on high every time.

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the details, I was hoping it would give quite a precise reading, but if it isn`t, how are you determining whether it`s as good as the manufacturers claim? As I said, a short study was done a couple of years ago by some members of Herpcenter, the Powersun bulbs did not do well at all compared to some other MVB`s as far as the UVB emission was concerned (the American type).
    Edit: I`m NOT criticising you in any way, just asking for more info! ;)