This Disappears When Logged In

Plant Box

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by RomanLA, Apr 17, 2013.

1. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

I was thinking about trying to do a plant box, similar to a leo moist hide. Basically, get about a 6 inch deep rubbermaid tub and cut a some holes in the lid for the plants. Basically, to keep my water dragon from digging out the dirt and making a mess. Anyone seen something like this done?

Also, I was looking at the plants on LLLReptile and all they have are ficus trees. Anyone know a source to buy pothos plants without insects and fertilizer? Could I just go buy a pothos and replant clippings?
    Small Ficus Tree

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I get my plants from lowes and homedepot and then before I replant them I knock all the soil off the roots, rinse it, then plant in a lot or cage. If it is an animal that is going to lick or eat the plants I wait a month to make sure any chemicals are rinsed off the leaves.

3. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

DSC00364.jpg

DSC003631.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

We attached long plant boxes to the back of this enclosure to get soil, "land space," and some live plants. Just screwed them in to the back. It is covered mostly with moss, so they can dig when they need, but are not encouraged to just chuck the substrate into the water.

4. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

So I ended up doing a pothos and dracaena. I got some cheap plastic pots and put them inside a food container. There's a layer of foam packing peanuts at the bottom for the water to run out. I cut the holes in the lids of the containers with a soldering iron.

photo1.jpg

photo5.jpg