This Disappears When Logged In

Plans for an App??

Discussion in 'General Suggestions' started by SonnysDragonS, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonnysDragonS

SonnysDragonS Elite Member

I don't knOw much about what it takes to make an app for a smart phone but I think it would be really cool if there was a herp center app... It could make posting to different forums on this site more available to some... Like this post was done from my iPhone and it's not exactly that easy... Even if I could just lost pictures from my iPhone to the site that would be a great help... This is actually the best camer I own and it takes some pretty nice pics that I would live to be able to share in my posts... Just some ideas I had that I thought I would share and get some other feedback on...

2. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

A lot of us check the site on our phones. I know if I'm out somewhere and bored, out comes the iPhone and HC! I guess Rich would be the one to ask about that, but I'd wonder about the cost of running an app as well as the site.

That would be really sweet though. "Herp Center? There's an app for that."

3. SonnysDragonS

Well maybe if we show a lot of positive feedback and desire for such an app he might think it would be worth it... I wouldn't mind even paying .99$ for such an app!!

4. hennisntacanibal

I'd pay for it, definitely.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually I beleive Rich has been looking into just such a thing.

6. SonnysDragonS

That would be amazing!!!

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The upgrade needs to be completed before I can make the apps available. I already have them.

8. justor

justor Elite Member

Well look at that, he's a step ahead already!

9. hennisntacanibal

Rich, are you taking magic lessons from Merlin??

10. hcfwesker

hcfwesker Elite Member

Was gonna say, I'm sure vB has mobile browser themes/apps for their forums.

11. Rich

There are a handful of users already using the android app. My intention was to release them several months ago. For the past 2+ months I have been working toward an upgrade on HC by moving files, changing directories, etc. There is a flaw in the droid app that I need to square away folowing the upgrade and at that point I will be able to make them available to everyone.

12. Rich

Of course they do and they cost money. lol Just because they have it doesn't mean I would be adding it. In total it cost me $400+ to get the upgrade and mobile suite apps. I still have another $200 or so to invest to upgrade some other software the site uses. I think people fail to realize that while this site is free for them it is not free for me. Vbulletin doesn't give anything away so don't expect me to add it automatically just because they have it for the software. lol

13. SonnysDragonS

What upgrade are you talking about??

14. hcfwesker

hcfwesker Elite Member

Calm down there, Mr Admin. I simply implied they do have them, not that you would jump at the gun and shell out the money it takes to obtain them. I know all about the costs of running an active site/forum. I used to use vB, but their ridiculous yearly upgrade modifications/add-on prices were absurd, and in most cases only reason many use vB cause it's what other bigger funded companies ( or spoiled kids) use for their forums.

My website cost $60 alone just for monthly hosting, not including custom modifications, add-ons, etc. So, yes, I understand the restrictions when running a website out of your own pocket.

People were making you out to be some God cause you were looking into a phone app, when I merely mentioned they are already available to vB forum admins; reassuring those who wanted the app, it was only a few clicks away at any time. ;)

Excuse me for voicing what I know on the subject. I'll think twice before next time. :)

15. hennisntacanibal

For me it would be pretty awesome to have an app and as far as I'm concerned, this site runs incredibly well and most of that is due to Rich's hard work.

16. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

Some other forums I'm on use Tapatalk, it works reasonably well. Not sure if that's any better than what is planned.

17. Rich

Herp Centers core code is being upgraded. I modified this website and its code greatly over the last 7 years. The modifications I have made seem to interfere with certain aspects of the mobile apps. I am moving and rewriting files and have been doing so now for over 2 months. Once ready I will be upgrading HC to the newest version of vb. That also includes upgrading every single paid for script that is used behind the scenes to give everyone the features we currently have

Seeing as this thread is about adding an app for HC and you pointing out vb has one, how else would it be perceived? Think about it? Why would you bring up that vb has apps if it weren't a proposed solution? (Which would require me buying them.) lol Those apps would be a viable solution but as I stated and you are trying to relinquish, they have to be purchased. lol

Lets get it right. vBulletin IS the best and most sophisticated software out there. I have been doing the forum thing for over a decade and nothing compares to vb and its versatility. I have used them all and actually still use some other forum apps for some other websites I own. NOTHING compares to vb for performance, features, accessibility, etc. It IS the best one out there. It also doesn't HAVE to be upgraded or renewed which means you could keep using it as is without having to spend another penny. Having been a vbulletin user who paid for the product you should have known that. Herp Center could stay the way it is now forever without me spending another penny on it other than hosting. If you already owned the license why would you stop using it? You already owned it unless you were actually leasing it. Leasing ends up costing MUCH more in the long run.

WOW! You either resent me based on that perception or you envy me. Either way, you really need to step back. No one was making me out to be a "god". lol How you perceived that is WAY beyond me. I also want to point out that you yourself just justified my response by saying " when I merely mentioned they are already available to vb forum admins; reassuring those who wanted the app, it was only a few clicks away at any time." Yeah, IF I PAY FOR IT IT IS! lol Thats exactly what I said the first time. lol

If you are going to act as resentful in your response as you did this time, then that would be a great idea.

Thanks. The new upgrade will make things even better because with it comes a host of new features and enhancements.

The ones I bought for HC are built around the vBulletin platform. The iPhone app is actually built specifically for HC and can't be used by any other site. The droid app caters to the site and how it functions. I am also able to use alternate files via the mobile app which means I can really modify it to meet our needs.

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Wow! Are you having a bad day?
    I am not sure why you took offense to Rich's response. He simply answered your post. There was nothing there that should have been taken personally.:confused:

19. hcfwesker

hcfwesker Elite Member

I'm not even going to bother responding to that wall of text, cause obviously something got miscommunicated and it started with your first response to me. Any other Admin I know would have taken the time to see where something went wrong, rather than continue their belittling. But I do have to respond to this ...

You use this WAY too much. At the beginning and ending of a lot of sentences. And all it does is add to what appears as cynicism & sarcasm ib your original response. Speak to your members, ESPECIALLY newer members, with just a little bit of concern for suggestions they come up with or offer, even when they're not suggestions to your liking, and things will go smoother.

An intelligent, mature admin would've responded like, "Yes, they do offer them, but they are costly and the site's funds at the moment will take some time before they can be implemented." <--- not as robotic as that, but the way I got blew off was a little uncalled for.

^ that statement was simply retarded, and what really didn't set well with me. Cause I'm probably one of the few who actually KNOWS what goes on in the background that most members here are only aware of about 8-10% of the work that actually goes on; and that's only if it's announced or made public.

On the contrary, was having a great day until the admin of the site took a simple observation of mine and turned it into an "hey, kid, I run this site, you have no idea what you're talking about" response.

Merlin, I have the utmost respect for you on here, I donated a little money to the site my third day here, cause of your help that I very much appreciated, and plan on donating more times in the future for the appreciation of what this site has to offer. I'm just a little annoyed at the response I got for a simple observation on a topic I felt I could contribute to.

That is ALL I had to go on. Which is why I mentioned ...

And this is what I got in return :)

Made me feel like I insulted your family honor or something :confused:

BACK ON TOPIC:

Now THIS is a bit of info that could have been useful, which clears up a lot of stuff. Better late than ever, I suppose. Hope it all works out.

20. SonnysDragonS

Wow... I never intended for all this anger and everything... Sorry for bringing up the topic... Glad to hear something is already in the works because I absolutely love the community atmosphere and all the people willing to offer help ands
    Share the knowledge and past experiences!! My little dragons prob wouldn't be doing as well as they are if it wasn't for everybody here! Its been going so well my female margarita laid 13 eggs this past Monday which had brought me back to the site looking for information and support after taking like a 3 month break from the site...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.