This Disappears When Logged In

Planning on Getting a Skink. Looking For Info.

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by Ricomerdico, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Ricomerdico

Ricomerdico New Member

Hello everyone. I'm planning on getting a lizard in about a year. I was originally thinking a uromastyx, but the more things I look up, the more I think I'd prefer a blue tongued skink. This will be my first lizard and I want to make sure I'm doing everything right. I just have a few questions.

What are common health concerns and what are the best ways to prevent them? I have a reptile/exotics vet fairly close, (I have a turtle, so already established myself with one).

What's the best style of enclosure? I know they're terrestrial and don't climb, so would a more bare habitat be better for space reasons, or should it contain a lot of hiding areas? I will NOT use an enclosure less than 4' x 18", and will probably go larger.

I know they like to occasionally dip in their water bowl. What would be a good choice to hold the water in?

I think that's all for now. I'll let you know if more questions arise. Oh, I live in upstate NY, the capital region. Does anyone know where I'll be able to get one when the time comes? I really don't want to order one from a breeder, because I'd like to see them in person before buying one.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It's been nearly 10 yrs since I had some Blue-tongues so I can't really answer most of your questions.
    But for the habitat I would like you said have lots of open areas for walking and wouldn't go less than 4ft x 2ft floor space.