This Disappears When Logged In

Pinworms and giardia help!

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by SebastiansExotics, Nov 30, 2014.

1. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

Oh boy. I took my 2 rescued beardies to the vet. They are male and female and live in the same enclosure. The male was acting really inactive and when he rolled on his back going for a cricket, i knew it was time for the vet. He has jerky movements when he walks. I suspected that it was MBD and thevprevious owner did not have proper uvb. But the vet took a feces sample from my female (whos poop is wet and clear in parts of it) and they took a blood sample of both of them. The vet called and said they have pinworms and giardia:( thet also have very low calcium levels and the female is skinny :( i love these guys! The vet gave me meds that i give them through mouth each day.

Will my male ever stop being lathargic?

And can the pinworms or giardia infect ME???

I have a brand new 75 gallon for them but before i move them i need these parasites GONE.

CAN THESE DISEASES SPREAD TO MY OTHER ANIMALS?!?
    How do u steralize their current enclosure for another animal when they move to the 75.

Thanks guys...

2. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

Both pinworms and giardia are transmissible to humans, but I believe it requires actually ingesting feces. When my cat had giardia his vet just advised that we be thorough hand washers after scooping the litter box. You should be fine doing the same thing.

3. SebastiansExotics

Oh ok thank god! I looked these parasites up and I do not feel like being the next episode of "Monsters Inside Me"! LOL!

Should my beardies heal up well?

4. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

I don't have a good answer for you because of lack of experience. Maybe someone else will chime in who has dealt with these parasites in reptiles.

My layman's impression is that yes, they will both improve greatly once the parasites are eliminated. Your male's lethargy makes sense since he is being robbed of nutrition. And I know that in mammals one of the symptoms of giardia is diarrhea, so it may be that your female has the reptile version of that.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Both parasites can be transmitted to people, but as stated, simple common sense hygiene will prevent that. On a side note, pinworm is a common infection in very young children, because those hands touch everything (anything outside, floors inside that infected material may have been 'tracked in' on), and then go straight to the mouth... Pinworm life cycle in people is kinda gross.

You can disinfect the cages the dragons were living in with any solution that is antibacterial or antimicrobial, etc. A bleach solution should do the job, but antibacterial dish soap will also work. To prevent this stuff from spreading to your other animals, simply refrain from cleaning their cages with the same utensils, or handling animals one after the other. In short, there needs to be a soap and water barrier between the infected animals, and the rest. Don't swap dishes, don't clean cages with the same brush, wash yourself after touching one cage or animal, before moving to the next so you don't inadvertently spread them on your hands. Most of those kinds of parasites, the feces of the infected animal has to come in contact with a healthy animal to get it. They aren't like mites that will crawl the room in search of new hosts.

6. SebastiansExotics

Yes, I looked up the pinworm life cycle in humans. That is why I asked if I could get it. Enough said LOL!

I already assumed all of that. I never swap dishes or anything regardless...

I was just wondering if they could spread like mites, I knew that it probably could not, But, Better safe then sorry...

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it!

-Sebastian

7. SebastiansExotics

UPDATE:

I did the first meds last night... I give them each 0.15m once a day for 4 days then stop for 10 days then repeat...

My female actually took it with no problem. I held the searing up to her and she actually bit it and tried to eat it LOL!
    What A Lizard! She tries to eat EVERYTHING! I can not have fake plants in her cage either- she tries to eat them. She has even tried ripping the bark off her log... I think that ripping the bark off was to get the water trapped under it though, Really smart! If anyone ever says lizards are not intelligent, Show them my beardie!

My male on the other hand:
    I have to pry his mouth open...

Hopefully they get better ASAP! As soon as they are clear, They get to move into their new 48x24x24 enclosure!