This Disappears When Logged In

Pine Wood Shelving: Yay Or Nay

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Artificialno.12, May 15, 2016.

1. I recently set up some shelving to store my snake bins on and it did not occur to me until after all the work was done that the untreated pine shelves may bother my snakes. I chose pine since it's fairly cheap without even considering the effects (totally forgot snakes don't like pine). ANYWAY, could I simply seal the shelves with varnish or should I change them out completely???

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Assuming the pine was kiln dried then you really have nothing to worry about. If you want though, you could seal the shelves with something like polycrylic or polyurethane, though the latter may take a week or two to cure out fully. Definitely no need to change them out.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. Pine as a building material is just fine. It is the shavings that are the issue. Pine shavings have an incredible amount of surface area to emit resinous fumes while a pine board has very little.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I actually know of a couple people using pine shavings successfully for a long time now, supposedly they are safe as long as they have been kiln dried. One person uses them for his entire collection of ball pythons. Not advocating it really, but it seems it can be done.

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I currently keep a knight anole, gecko, and two snakes on two shelves made of old pine boards. All is well.
    You don't even have to seal them but I personally would sand and seal at least the top surface for your sake if you spill a water bowl or make a mess on them. It's really up to you though.