This Disappears When Logged In

Pics of the Ctenosaura Similis

Discussion in 'Ctenosaura - Spiny Tail Iguana' started by Dominick, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

OK, so not really an iguana, more so a cyclura, but here's pics of my new Ctenosaura Similis, commonly called the Black Iguana.

She, like most Ctenosaura, is very aggressive and bitey. She's not used to being handled and she can pack a skin-ripping bite, so for these first few times I use gloves.

I do however feel that the next time I handle her, I'll try it without the gloves. She calms pretty rapidly. Problem is she will be sitting there all calm, with her eyes closed as I pet her then suddenly, before I know it, she has chomped down on my finger like lightening, so restraint is the key!

Anyway....C. similis is herbivorous and readily eats greens and veggies and fruits. As babies, they tend to be more omnivorous.

Enjoy the pics.

Here she is in her enclosure, relatively sure I'm not gonna grab her.
    [​IMG]

They are VERY quick and flighty, before I knew it she was out of the enclosure and running across the floor! :eek:
    [​IMG]

Here you will see the big, brave handler showing what she looks like when you hold her. Her teeth are barely visible, but pack a lot of bite!
    [​IMG]

Sooo, while I cleaned up the cage, I had to do SOMETHING with her...bathtime!!
    [​IMG]

She has wonderful coloration, black, pinks, greens and brown/greys. The white stripes are almost fluorescent in intensity.

I look forward to more handling and taming, not sure about her though.

BTW, she is indeed a "she". I had her spayed at a free-spaying clinic offered through Duke University Medical School last year, through the kindness of Darry and the Triangle Iguana Rescue group. TIR took her in and fostered her for 1 1/2 years until I finally made it to NC to claim her.

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

She's absolutely gorgeous Dom :D How long have you had her?

3. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

do those get as big as green iguanas?
    ive only heard about them a few times

4. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Matt: I've actually had her for about a week now. She's doing really well, eating and pooping, what more could a herper ask for? LOL

Ryan: She's about 10" STL, won't get much bigger than that. They are a smaller member of the iguana family (Cyclura, Ctenosaura). When folks think of "iguanas" they tend to associate it with the most common and popular one Iguana iguana (or commonly Giant Green Iguana) The green iguana is the largest member of the iguanids, and curiously the only strictly herbivorous (or florivorous for your hard-core herpers) member of the family.

In all, the iguanid family has over 300 species, including cyclura, ctenosaura and chuckwallas.

Ctenosaura (pronounced teeno-sawra) are a very aggressive species and are quite hard to tame.

Someone stop me! LOL And correct me if I'm wrong.

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

10" STL? She looks bigger than that :confused:

6. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Ok, I was mistaken, I just measure her:

9" SVL.

20" STL.

Sorry about that!

7. venus

venus Founding Member

I was just fixin to say that, lol. She looks huge in those pics. But never the less she is beautiful Dom. Big bad handler huh?.:p

8. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

What a gorgeous girl she is. I'm so glad you finally got her home with you Dom. I look forward to seeing her in person some day!!

9. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

She's incredible! :) A lot of cats I've known have been like that....they let you pet them, and they're purring and all, and then *SNAP* they give you a bite you won't forget! :eek:

What do STL and SVL mean? Forgive my ignorance, please.... :eek:

10. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

great pics. i really like the pink coloring. very pretty. :)

11. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

STL = Snout-Tail Length, measuring from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail.

SVL = Snout-Vent Length, measuring from the tip of the nose to the vent, or cloaca. ;)

12. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

13. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Cool! Thank you! I hadn't seen that article. :)

14. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

She is beautiful,Dominick!Hope you can tame her ok!

I just noticed that you live in New Bern,lol! Are there a lot of swiss people in this town? I never knew there was a New Bern in America;very interesting.My boyfriend is from Bern (the Swiss-version).Is NC North Carolina?
    Good luck with that wonderful animal!!

15. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Greetings Jackie!

Indeed, Bern, Switzerland is our "Mother" city!

New Bern, North Carolina, USA was settled in 1710 by Baron Von Graffenreid of Bern, Switzerland. It was indeed a colony full of Swiss imigrants. It was the colonial capital of North Carolina until that was moved to Raleigh, NC. Since the founding, New Bern, NC and Bern, Switzerland have been "sister" cities.

http://www.downtownnewbern.com/newbern.htm

We can be penpals! LOL

16. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

WOW,that sound fantastic,thanks so much ,Dominick! So that means my boyfriend should get the greencard and we can move there,lol! ;)

17. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Congrats on the new addition! Looks great.

18. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Dom,,,,I cannot believe I missed this thread until today,,,,what an awesome addition to the collection. Good luck with the ferocious little dear. If you have more pics I'd love to see them.

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Looks like she is VERY interested in giving your fingers a taste!
    Just hope Rex doesn't decide to take up the same attitude!

20. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

With a new "woman" in the house...you never know...lol...Lyn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.