This Disappears When Logged In

*PICS* Monty Eating a Baby Flemish Giant

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by AjaMichelle, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I fed Monty (15 foot male Burmese python) a rabbit tonight.

To say he went totally nuts is an understatement.

He started trying to break out of his enclosure as soon as I entered the room with the rabbit. He was pushing on the door and making a ton of noise. I could barely even get the rabbit into his enclosure he was being so pushy while trying to get out. It took us almost fifteen minutes.

We got it in and he was smelling it so hard his ENTIRE head was completely engulfed in fur. I couldn't even see it.

He was pumped.

I also learned this week that Monty has such distaste for Guinea Pigs that the pigs actually turn his feeding response off.

This rabbit is a three month old, four pound, pre-killed Flemish Giant.

I have never seen him do anything this well. He was so motivated and deliberate in his actions! I didn't even have to make it dance!

It took him a few minutes to figure out where the head was located, and it was pretty much over after that.

I got photos and recorded bits! Yay! :)

"This is mine"
    P2070622.jpg

P2070623.jpg

P2070625.jpg

P2070627.jpg

P2070631.jpg

P2070632.jpg

P2070640.jpg

P2070641.jpg

P2070644.jpg

P2070645.jpg

P2070647.jpg

P2070651.jpg

P2070654.jpg

P2070659.jpg

P2070661.jpg

Attached Files:

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

One happy snake :)

3. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

awe I have a friend who has a 9 and a half foot albino Burmese it eats rabbits as well and huge rats!

4. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I am so excited about this I can't even tell you :D

5. rosi92

rosi92 Subscribed User Premium Member

Cool. Monty is a nice looking snake. Ive been wanting to get a snake lately, but I don't know if I would be able to feed a rabbit to it. Mice and rats I'm okay with, but rabbits are just too cute!

6. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Yeah I hear that! Monty was raised on rabbits and rats. I found out recently that owner 01 (I'm owner 03) fed him TWO 15 to 20 pound rabbits per month. He was really underweight when I got him and has been increasing in girth steadily over the last year. I don't think weight gain will be as difficult since he likes these rabbits so much. :)

7. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Large constrictors are definitely not for everyone. :)

8. rosi92

rosi92 Subscribed User Premium Member

Wait, so 2 rabbits a month isn't enough for him? Geez, how much does that guy eat!!!:p

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

My wild cought (head was twice the size of any captive I ever seen) 14' burm took small goat or 2-3 rabbits, frigging monster appetite. I was way to cocky at that time and should not have had big snakes. I had no fear of them and that can be dangerous. I saw no problem carring them with no one around, and even had a few close calls but ignored the danger. Both my large snakes where very docile but the shear strength and weight was a danger unto itself.

I love big snakes but happy to visit, not care for. I have no problems with people having these snakes as long as they understand the dangers and act accordingly for their own safty.

10. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That's actually more than enough food :) I've been trying to feed him guinea pigs without success. I'll be feeding him a 4 to 8 pound rabbit every two weeks if supplies permit. :)

11. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

They are indeed a risky captive to keep. I'm smart about it though. I always have one to three people present whenever I open his enclosure.

12. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Locate a breeder and work out a deal :) some are willing to move off culls at reasonable prices. Some get rather peeved off at ya though :p

13. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Actually I'm now getting my bunnies from a local breeder. :) A fellow herp enthusiast.

14. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great photos Aja! It really looked like Monty was in Heaven in that first photo, kind of like a kid at christmas getting the ultimate gift.

Is it just me or do the scales around the eyes kind of look like they pop out or stretch out? I've never really looked at the snakes eyes when eating.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

P2070622.jpg
    Reminds me of those pinup pictures with the model laying on a bear skin rug!

Now that we have the feeding pictures, you need to take a picture of the erm,...end result!
    Show potential burm owners just what size of a mess they make!

Attached Files:

16. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great idea Merlin! I wouldn't mind seeing the size and weight, call me weird/crazy, but it would be nice to know!

17. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I definitely saw some stretching around the eyes for sure! It was amazing. :)

And I will definitely post some before and "after" photos! I've already started thinking of an object I can use for scale that will be common to everyone. The only thing I can think of is a ruler lol :)

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Or your basic 12x12 tile.
    That way you just throw it away afterwards!;)

19. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Love the pics Aja! Monty is a really handsome looking fellow, he looks happy with the rabbit (is that possible for a snake :) ). Guess you found the trick with him then. Keep those rabbits coming and he'll be one happy boy!

20. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Michele, just think of a LARGE St. Bernard poop. Then think about it being spread out throughout the entire enclosure when he happily crawls all through it and "paints" the walls- they NEVER do that when you have time to clean properly. It is always when you are at work, while you are sleeping or while your snake phobic family/friends are visiting. Great pics Aja, I am glad you unlocked the secret ti his fasting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.