This Disappears When Logged In

Picking Tito Up

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by TitoAndKatt, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I agree with you 100% on the handling, if I skip one day of not handling forest I have trouble the next day. I do allow him to roam afterwards and night time he is back on me.

One thing I do disagree with is the commands. Forest knows doedoe, help and kom and those words do not sound the same at all. Even if it did, it does not matter the fact is he understand what it means.

When I say doedoe at night he climes right on top of me and gets real upset if I do not take him to his room.

When I am in his room he will not come to me unless I say kom.

When he battles to get on the chair and I just reach for him then he reverse, but when I say help he climes onto my hand and expects me to put him on the chair.

Plus, it is not just the way that I approach him it is the word. For example, he wanted to get on to the couch the other day and my hands were full I asked Craig to help forest. When he approached, forest immediately started backing-off. I told Craig that he must say Help. He said it and forest used his hand as a step to get on to the couch. My posture is not at all the same as Craig’s, nor is the tone of my voice. Craig is actually quite scary. :p

My ig is definitely not super intelligent, I have simply used these words since he was 5 days old and he knows what the word or the sound means.;)
    He knows these words through repetition each and every day and it makes life very easy for both of us.

Doedoe
    took about 6 months to learn, help was just after that and kom only started working about a month ago.;) I am still working on 'buite' which means 'outside' so he knows that we are going to his outdoor enclosure.

2. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

All animals will try and push power. little humans try to push limits with their parents, dogs play keep away when they get loose out side, cats.. well they just don't care for their people ever, and horses will prance side ways, and try to eat grass while being riden. All of those are some sort of dominance.

Maybe they don't try and lounge at you to protect their territory but really iguanas don't really do that unless in mating season or terribly small enclosures. Dogs normally try to defend their territory as well, hence so much need for the human to be the pack leader.

I think they can learn commands. Maybe it is just the noise but if you say it the same each time, then who cares if it gets an effect. I also put my hand flat in front of her face to get her to do something else as well. No she doesn't sit on command, no she doesn't roll over. But no? i think is possible. Not that they will always listen.

3. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Katt as you stated above - you are doing everything right - handling etc. There is nothing wrong with wanting to progress to the next step of letting him walk around a bit. I think you just let go a tad too much when you allowed him to explore the whole flat.:p

How is the bed - room - exploring going, is he behaving?

4. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I disagree that cats don't care ever. I have known some very friendly cats who get upset when their people leave. My best friends cat will come running like a dog when the door bell rings or when you call his name. He thinks he is a dog though. But when they leave, their cats will ignore them for a few days - usually the exact number of days they were gone - after they come back. It is pretty funny. :p
    I also agree that lizards can learn commands. I think that it is like training a cat - they will do it, but only if they feel like it. But it IS possible.

No, he is not behaving. Although, I did take him in the shower with one morning (I let him sit on these little shelves in there) and he didn't freak out like he usually does. He wasn't too happy about it, but he calmed down enough to put his dewlap down and look around curiously. He also let me "help" him climb up to the next higher shelf. And catch him when he realized he couldn't climb the tile-wall and started slipping. haha I think I am going to start just bringing him with me when I take showers every morning. Then he gets his bath, and it is "handling" time at the same time and it saves some time/water. Kills three birds with one stone. :)

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

My cats clearly care... but only when they want to! I have all three of them sitting next to the front door when I open it. Weasley and I have "love" time after I come home. We snuggle at night. They miss us when we go on vacation. If Sam is unhappy, he poops on the carpet right beside the litter box. Oh... THEY CARE.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It would be nice if you`re proved correct about them "knowing" different commands, it`s very "sneaky" (convenient) of you all to say, they KNOW what you`re saying, they just don`t want to do it! :p :D

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As with the "emotions" arguement, there are things which occur that people misinterpret as being something else.
    Until someone can actually show me a video of themselves sitting motionless, giving a spoken command, and the lizard preforming the requested behavior I am not buying it!

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Me too! We`re still outnumbered though, Merlin.

9. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Stefan, it is the same with ANY animal. You can't argue that kids don't understand - but that does not mean that they will listen all of the time! Same with Dogs. They obviously can be trained by command: my Mom has spent hours working with her dogs, and they STILL do not "sit" 100% of the time you say "sit." Sometimes they just get too excited and don't pay attention, or they just don't feel like it. Cats are even more difficult as they are more independent, lizards are the same.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Kitt-Katt, I`m NOT saying they don`t have a reaction to sounds....I just cannot believe that even the highly intelligent varanids "know" the "meanings" of words.... Once again, I`m just trying to look at the topic without the "emotional" attachment getting in the way... I talk to my monitor all the time, Which in itself is VERY silly), because he`s from Africa, and doesn`t speak OR understand a word of English! Iguanas are South American, so either Spanish or Portuguese is what YOU need to get through to Tito! ( Silly girl!) :p

11. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Well his name is hispanic... haha Anyways, I am not saying I think they know the "meaning" of a word, literally. I do think that they know the meaning of words in the sense of a command though. It's simple classical/operant conditioning. If you use the same word every time you do something specific/make the subject do something specific, they will begin to associate that sound with that action. It doesn't have to be a word - it could be a click, a noise, or even a gesture. How quickly and whether or not they pick up on it at all depends on the animal, but if you do it enough they will make the association eventually. Even animals as simple as mice and rats can be "trained" this way.

12. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I don't really care if it is my vocal or my actions that get the reaction I want, just that I get the reaction that I want.

I didn't mean that cats don't care for their people just when a person says no... a cat normally doesn't care at all they just do it anyway, but it isn't because they are too stupid to understand, they are too smart to do it. Haha.

I always say cats are smarter than dogs because they don't bend to people like a dog does. Cats trained people far more than people can train a cat.

Our cat gets very mad when we leave, he will attack and be very grumpy. In his eyes I think it is his house, and we are his pets. We should be there to itch his itches. fill his food, be his bed and his chew toy when ever he wants and not be there when ever he wants.

I can tell kermit no from my bed when she is doing something like getting ready to jump up on shelves (did you know she can jump straight up like 2 1/2 feet!) she will stop, look around, eye the spot and then jump if I am not quick enough saying no! Don't you think about that! sometimes she jumps up still though... haha. She is a cat.

13. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Thank you Katt! You said exactly what I have been trying to say all along! I wish my communication skills were better.:rolleyes:

If you use the same word every time you do something specific/make the subject do something specific, they will begin to associate that sound with that action. 100% :D

If I just hold my hand for forest to get on then he simply ignores me, if I just say 'Kom' he also ignores me, but if I combine the two together he gets on my hand and climes up my arm.

When I see him struggling and just approach him then he backs off but if I approach him and say help then he lets me help him.

I am still waiting for forest to start listening to NO!

Merlin I want to make a dvd with forest following the commands it is just difficult because I am depended on either my husband or daughter to hold the camera and they have better things to do.:(

Katt, your shower time in the morning sounds like a very good idea.;)

14. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Thanks! And whether or not the animals "understand" as we "understand" things, with repetition neural connections will form.
    Tito didn't get a shower this morning b/c I woke up 15 minutes beofre I had to go to work. haha but, when I came home I gave him a bath -he was shedding like mad - and he did Okay not great, but better. Before that I just had him out with me for a bit while I did some rearranging and he escaped off of my back twice and I had to hunt him down (he hid under the couch the second time lol) but while he did run, once I caught him he was (by comparison to other times) fairly complacent. :) Then after the bath I had him out for a while, and he puffed up once or twice, but he didn't puff up EVERY time I reached out to pet him. :) I am very excited too b/c I decided that he has not shed his spikes since I have had him (his upper spikes by his head) and he just shed them and they are shiny and green and beautiful. :) And he was soo much more cooperative than normal tonight! :)

15. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Time - it takes a looong time, the more hours we put in each day - the more we will get out.;) I really miss my old forest now.:(

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Rats in particular are very intelligent animals... You`re right, it`s the SOUND, not the WORD/S, but that`s what I said in the beginning!
    Most zoos use the "clicker" system with a wide variety of animals, from the different classes...But to then expect them (iguanas) to differentiate BETWEEN the sound of clicks/sounds, is another thing
    entirely! These animals have evolved to use " visual signals" to communicate, (mainly). But hissing etc. IS a sound signal, but not many other examples of sounds than this..? This is a nice discussion, I guess we`re ALL right in some ways, and all wrong in others, will we EVER know the whole truth??? ( I don`t think so!!) ;)

17. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I think snolting on me is a sign of total disgust of me sometimes. I swear she only does it when she is grumpy. or maybe that makes her grumpy.

18. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Tito usually snalts on me when he is relaxed and calm, so I take it as a good sign. :) lol The last two days Tito has been very nice in the mornings. :) And right now he is being very cuddly, just laying on my shoulder while we watch TV. I love it when he is friendly. :)

19. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

It sounds like you took 3 steps forward and are now ready for the 2 steps back.:p:rolleyes: Iguanas!

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Or even TWO steps forward and THREE steps back!! :p I`m really glad you had a nice time with him just for once, Kitty-Katt!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.