This Disappears When Logged In

Picking Tito Up

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by TitoAndKatt, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

So Tito will now hang out with me and be FAIRLY calm...minus when he tries to climb on my head and I tell him no and he gets all ****ed at me for pulling him off and putting him even lower than he started. haha (Blah dominance issues :mad:) I want to be able to let him explore. The problem is, once he is free, I have to chase him to catch I'm, and there is almost always NO way to Scoop him up - when I get a chance (usually after some time of trying to approach slowly from his level only to have him run in the other direction, and then trying to flush him out of his various impossible to reach hiding corners) I have to nab him up. Which always means coming from above. I can't ever catch him from beneath, and so every time he gets to explore, I recreate myself as a threat. :(
    Today I tried sitting and putting him down next to me. He would try to run away, and I would hold him so he couldn't go anywhere, then let go again when he calmed down. Then I would show him both of my hands palm up (I have been trying to do this every time I pick him up) and pick him up. He would always make a dash for it the second I stopped petting/holding him. Then I scooped him up, and tried to offer him some fruit. The problem is, he was so ****ed at me that he would not eat the fruit! So there was NOTHING positive about it for him. Nadda. :(
    I want to get him to where I can approach without him running away, and scoop him up without having the chase of a lifetime every time. I want to give him time to free roam and explore outside of his cage, but I can't do that until I can easily pick him back up.

What should I do?

2. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Everybody will recommend a leash, I don't use one in the house.

You are really digging into my memory here!:p Forest does not run away from me, I approach him slowly from the side, always from the side and I don't bend down to his level at all. When I reach him I simply scoop him up. But the question is how did I get to this point?

You are saying that he goes off in his own direction if you stop stroking etc. Do you immediately go after him or do you leave him and first just observe where he wants to go -(of course without you after him)?

3. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Haha I do both! I have tried letting him roam, I have tried immediately chasing him down. He tries to run away when I am petting him sometimes too, but then my hand is on him and I can immediately stop him. When I stop though, it's off he goes. If I follow him, he keeps running. If I let him roam, and then go get him, he runs away....and yes, I want to be able to let him roam around the house without a leash lol

4. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I was just thinking that there might be a specific place that he would like to go to, for instance a tree in your house.

I used to let forest go if he wants to explore, I followed him from a distance, very slowly. When ever I saw that he wants to clime up something where he could not reach I would approach him showing him my hands and say "kom ek help jou" - let me help you. He soon learned the meaning of the word help and allowed me to pick him up and put him where he wanted to be. Again it is important that if you say -help - then you need to help him and not take him. This boils down to trust again, it is a way to get Tito to trust you, in other words, you do what you say your are going to do and nothing else.

After helping him to where he wanted to be he eventually lost interest again and wanted to go somewhere else then I would help him to where ever his new interest was.

The other word that he knows is "kom" meaning come - then he knows that I am going to pick him up and take him where I want to go.

Doedoe - means it is time to go to bed. When I say that word he then climbs up my arm and we go to his room.

So, I would suggest that after you've been holding him let him go to where he wants to be and teach him that he can trust you to help him. He is most probably thinking that you want to stop him from having fun and clime stuff that he finds interesting - that is why he runs away from you.

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

You need a smaller room! hang out in the bath room let him explore when he walks around enough he will walk up to you or use you as a ladder so pet him then but don't pick him up keep doing this and then start just stopping him and let go, then start picking up and putting down and it will stop that run away thing the first few times you do it. You can do all that in one session.

In all honesty I don't make sure i only come up to kerm from the side, nor do I only pick up from under her i can walk straight up to her face and lay on the floor next to her and share a salad (only if it is something I like different ones) I also wake her up sometimes and put my face on her back. I do kiss her shoulders sometimes too :eek: bad bad I know. When she is out she will play the "can't catch me" game too but only if she knows she shouldn't be in that place (under couch)

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Don't you think Katt has owned Tito long enough to be over that stage? Unless she never did it.

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

It doesn't sound like it. If she has to chase him like that every time then I would say she needs to regress back to a small area and not catching every time

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For the time being stop putting him down!
    By letting him run and then you have to chase him you are backsliding into that predator/prey relationship. Maintain control of him.
    If you feel like you just must put him down, do so in a small bathroom where there is no place to run.

9. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I do not put him down very often, and when I do it is usually where I can easily pick him back up, such as this bar-height table I let him hang out on sometimes, or the top of the couch. Then when I do it is usually not for long either. 99% of the time, I am just holding him or letting him chill out on my shoulder or lap. However, sometimes he jumps or runs faster than I can react (esp when I am tires or distracted). As well, I want to get to where I CAN put him down eventually.

:eek: No. I haven't. Like I said, I usually have him on me or in my hands, or near enough that he can't go anywhere. He was so terrified of anything human, and especially anything Female and human (yup, that's me!) when I got him that I just wanted to be able to HOLD him period to start with. Now that I can (usually) (4 months later) I want to of course, progress.

Yes, I do. My bathroom is not really ideal though. I suppose I could make it work, but I need to revamp some things. I'm also afraid of him climbing the shower curtains where I have a difficult time reaching him... Mainly though because that puts him higher than me...not that it matters I guess since his cage is higher than my bed where I sit to do hw...
    Anyways, I am looking for the best way to start with the next part of his "training." lol

10. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

for the shower curtains just wad them up and flip over the pole he won't be able to reach it

11. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I only sat in the bathroom with forest when he was under a month old after that I started sitting in our bed room and watched tv while he was on my lap. The best trick is to first bath him and then go to the room. Bathing really makes forest sleepy and calm, even today.

I know how you feel Katt, it is a long and difficult road and there really isn't any perfect method. Forest only calmed down a bit after he was a year old and two months later he started this breeding season story! The more time that you put into it the more you will get out, hopefully tito won't take as long as forest.;)

12. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

haha I have a feeling he will take longer. I try to spend time with him EVERY day, but some days it just does not happen. I work and go to school full time on top of volunteering at the Children's Hospital, among other things and when I get some some days he is asleep. I feel bad waking him up... Is it okay to take him out after he has fallen asleep for the night? Also, I usually let him hang out with me while I do hw (he sits in my lap or crawls on my bed/couch next to me) or when I do chores around the house. He comes to help me make his breakfast every morning that I'm not in a hurry too, but that is usually not an extended amount of time.

I worked with him for a few hours the other day and he was a brat at fir, naturally. Every time I picked him up though, I gave him a few bites of peach baby food (his favorite ever). Then one time he actually let me pick him up! :) But once he was in my hands he struggled... :( I am not sure if he was catching his balance or more likely, just trying to climb up to his perch on my shoulder. Then the time after that he tried to run away. I feel like we might be making a little progress though. I have been doing what Linky (I think) suggested in another thread and every time I pick him up I show him both of my hands palm-up first. Then I say "Come" and pick him up. Every time I let him go again, I say "Go Play," and I have tried help, but he thinks it is come and tries to run - I will keep working on it. I am working on "Stay" too (and "NO!" haha) and every time I give him food I say "treat" and "yummy". Anything else I should know of/do?

13. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Oh ya, I have another question too. I am really small - chances are Tito will get to be bigger than me! I'm only 5'1" (as StaFan established in an earlier thread haha) and I have pretty small hands and my shoulders are narrow (like from front to back). I like to hold Tito and I love letting him hang out on my shoulder while I do stuff but sometimes I noticed he has a hard time balancing or staying on. That goes for both letting him sit on my shoulder and rest on my forearm (head facing forwards, tail tucked by my body so he can look around while I carry him around the house). I know that it will only get worse as he gets bigger and can't fit on my shoulder/hands and arm quite as well... Do any of you guys have this problem?

14. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I am only 5'2 and I have the same issue, I just let her claw the **** out of me most of the time, I figure her claws can hang on, but I normally catch myself walking hunch backed.

She can stay on if I am standing up straight though, and she will put one hand on the pony tail base and hold on for dear life. But god help ya try and get her off, you lean over to let her walk somewhere and she climbs the other way, she can turn around faster than any animal I know.

At least she acts like she doesn't want to get away from me.

Place you don't want her to go instead of picking her up each time, put a flat hand in front of his face and just kind of guide him with out touching him away from the area. If he pushes the hand with his face pick him up, turn him around, and put him down. If not say good, you can go play over there... thats no place for a silly iguana is normally what i tell kerm.

15. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Thanks! That's a good one! :) First I have to get him to not run away from my hand in the first place though. haha We're getting there....I think...

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ll keep it short and sweet Kitty, I think you just need to spend more time handling him......(I know you don`t GET much time), but that`s the answer for me.... ( We ALL agree on that, I think!!) :p
    sTefAnN

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Maybe that`s the problem??? ; ....I think....(Stop it, just be you`re normal non-thinking blonde self, see how THAT works...!)

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Occasionally waking him up in the evening for socializing is fine. Much better than just ignoring him completely.
    In fact one of our staff did that to tame her ig. Picked him up while sleeping and carried him over to sit with her. That actually accomplishes two things. One the ig is sleeping so easier to pick up and since it is already sleepy once you settle back down the ig can just go back to sleep and sit with you.
    This is NOT recommending that you come in in the middle of the night and do this. just early in the evening.
    If somebody did that to me in the middle of the night I would probably bite them myself!

19. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Haha Okay, thanks. And I DO spend time with him almost every day and sometimes multiple times a day. Some days it is just not possible until he is already asleep. Now that I know I can wake him up though I will do that every now and then. I have a LOT more time now since it is summer too, and my summer classes will be over in a week giving me even MORE time! :) I am hoping that I can easily pick him up from roaming at the end of the summer. If not, then I'll just keep working on it. :) I'm not a patient person (as you guys can tell I am sure), but I am VERY (stress on the very) stubborn so I'll stick to it no matter what. :)

20. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I wake up kermit sometimes, in fact I have had to more than once grab her in the middle of the night with out much of a easy wake up call. But that was after she was very handle-able.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.